Forum: Ruby on Rails SELECT within SELECT

Rails L. (Guest)
on 2008-12-21 16:41
I am trying to create a drop down of categories and that same drop down
should also have subcategories of currently selected category.

for category drop down I use something like

<%= collection_select(:category, :id, Category.find(:all), :id, :name)
%>

but I would like to do something like

<%= collection_select(:category, :id, Category.find(:all).each do |cat|
if cat.name?(currently_selected) Subcategory.find(:cat.name), :id,
:name) %>

any ideas?.
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Rails L.

> I am trying to create a drop down of categories and that same drop down
> should also have subcategories of currently selected category.

I think the closest you can come to this with real HTML would be
using  `option_groups_from_collection_for_select`; subcategories
will be selectable but not categories.

And that's just the way 'optgroup' works, nothing to do with Rails.

HTH!