From: Igor A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Big bugs out of nowhere...
To: Johnathan C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Hi Johnathan,

Thank you for the insight. I was indeed NOT a user of the usrp group
to which udev was configuring the block device.
The thing is, we have an LDAP-configured network here, and we use it
to fetch a number of configs, including groups, passwords and whatnot.

Bottom line, there were two 'usrp' groups: one from /etc/group, with
no members; and the other was from LDAP, with myself as member.

So I removed the usrp group from /etc/group{,-}, and it no longer
exists acording to 'getent group|grep usrp', but now udev seems to be
confused as it changes the permissions correctly, but the group
association is not performed:
/dev/bus/usb/007:
total 0
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 768 2008-12-19 06:38 001
crw-rw---- 1 root root 189, 769 2008-12-19 09:50 002

Notice the crw-rw---- block, which showed up when I plugged the usb
cable.

So if udev cannot be aware of the usrp group fetched from LDAP, the
whole LDAP-centralizing-access-permissions scheme goes down, because I
will have to manually create and maintain/synchronize the usrp group
in every machine on the lab.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Johnathan C.

--
Igor A.

--
Igor A.
Eric B. (Guest)
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 06:38:45PM -0300, Igor A. wrote:

> So if udev cannot be aware of the usrp group fetched from LDAP, the
> whole LDAP-centralizing-access-permissions scheme goes down, because I
> will have to manually create and maintain/synchronize the usrp group
> in every machine on the lab.

Have you looked at any of the system log files? Usually /var/log/*
They'll probably tell you what's going on.

There may also be a way to increase the level of debug output from udev.

Eric
Igor A. (Guest)
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Eric B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>> no members; and the other was from LDAP, with myself as member.
>> Notice the crw-rw---- block, which showed up when I plugged the usb cable.
> There may also be a way to increase the level of debug output from udev.
>
> Eric

I started to copy/paste the logs from different sources but they were
all telling me everything was fine internally. It occurred to me that
the problem could be in /etc/nsswitch.conf:
group:          compat ldap

Since switching places could mean breaking something else, I added a
'continue' action, as oriented in
http://www.softpanorama.org/Solaris/Reference/etc/... :
group:          compat [NOTFOUND=continue] ldap

So up until now there have been no other problems. Thank you for your
help!

--
Igor A.