Forum: Ruby on Rails State of Ruby and ROR

Damjan R. (Guest)
on 2008-12-18 16:30
New year is comming and I would like to clear some questions on  the
future of Ruby  and ROR.

1. We  see that Ruby 1.8.7 is default on ubuntu 8.10. In the past there
were  problems with ROR and ruby 1.8.7. Have this problems been
resolved?

2. Short after New year Ruby  1.9  will be considered stable and the
question is Is ROR ready for Ruby 1.9 and are there any speed in
improvments?

by
TheR
Robert W. (Guest)
on 2008-12-18 21:44
Damjan R. wrote:

> New year is comming and I would like to clear some questions on  the
> future of Ruby  and ROR.
>
> 1. We  see that Ruby 1.8.7 is default on ubuntu 8.10. In the past there
> were  problems with ROR and ruby 1.8.7. Have this problems been
> resolved?
>
> 2. Short after New year Ruby  1.9  will be considered stable and the
> question is Is ROR ready for Ruby 1.9 and are there any speed in
> improvments?
>

> by
> TheR

As far as I understand it the latest versions of Rails does support Ruby
1.9. I hear though that not all gems and plugins are ready for Ruby 1.9,
but I imagine the major ones will be ready in time for Ruby 1.9 to be
considered "production" ready.

I've not heard anything on Ruby 1.8.7. I continue to use the Ruby that
comes with Leopard on my development boxes and tend to try to stick with
that for deployment as well. I suppose I'll consider Ruby 1.9 more
seriously when Apple decides it ready enough to include it in Mac OS X.
That is, of course, unless there is a compelling reason to move to it
sooner than that.