Forum: Ruby ruby to create GUI

Xx X. (Guest)
on 2008-12-18 13:08
i already installed ruby one-click installer and would like to create
simple application with GUI. Can ruby do this? or do i need to install
any software?
Any documentation about this?

thanks in advance! :)
Alex F. (Guest)
Xx Xx wrote:
> i already installed ruby one-click installer and would like to create
> simple application with GUI. Can ruby do this? or do i need to install
> any software?

If you've installed one-click Ruby, you already have FxRuby
(http://www.fxruby.org/) and Ruby/Tk available to you. They have their
drawbacks, but both are fine for simple GUI development for your own
use.

For more complex Ruby GUI development, you might want to look into one
of the bigger, more sophisticated libraries. They offer more widgets and
a more polished appearance. I'd suggest either wxRuby
(http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/) or Ruby-GNOME2
(http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/). They are both very capable and
have decent documentation.

An additional option is Shoes (http://shoooes.net/). It is very
lightweight, but you cannot use it with the One-click installer.

There are other options; my forthcoming report on a recent GUI survey
will provide more information on current patterns of usage.