Forum: Ruby on Rails distributing a rails application

Little K. (Guest)
on 2008-12-18 06:25
What are the standard best practices for sharing your rails application
on the web?

As far as I can tell, you just delete the logs directory and clear out
the database.yml

What am I forgetting?
Ryan B. (Guest)
Github!

All the entries from my .gitignore file:

log/*.log
log/searchd*
tmp/*
db/*.sqlite3
db/sphinx/*
config/database.yml
test
coverage
coverage/*
config/*.sphinx.conf
config/deploy.rb

-----
Ryan B.
Freelancer
http://frozenplague.net
Andrew B. (Guest)
why ignore the test dir? dont you want to share those?
Ryan B. (Guest)
I have a spec dir, not a test dir.
-----
Ryan B.
Freelancer
http://frozenplague.net
Phlip (Guest)
Little K. wrote:

> What are the standard best practices for sharing your rails application
> on the web?
>
> As far as I can tell, you just delete the logs directory and clear out
> the database.yml
>
> What am I forgetting?

To share with other programmers, you develop out of an open version
control hub
such as RubyForge or GitHub (?). Don't commit your logs or database.yml,
but do
commit a database.yml.example with a scrubbed copy of your private
database.yml.

To share with end-users, you should key your database to a Group model,
which
has many Staff model objects. When a Staff logs in, they only see
database
records in their Group. Then you can sell your app - as a service - to
as many
Groups as you can qualify, and each group cannot see the other groups'
data.

--
   Phlip
Phlip (Guest)