Forum: Ruby using count += 1, code won't change value in output

Mmcolli00 M. (Guest)
on 2008-12-17 17:30
This is supposed to count every line in a file that contails the string
'0004343' however, when I use the puts it will only output 1 and 0. My
file contains 8 instances of '0004343' so I know that this isn't right.
I was thinking that it never changes the value to what happens to it in
the while loop. I know this is probably really simple. I just can't get
it. Please help me? MC

@count = 1
 @total = 0
  while line = f1.gets
    if f1.gets =~ /0004343/ then
     @total = @count+= 1
puts @count
puts @total
Jan F. (Guest)
on 2008-12-17 17:35
Mmcolli00 Mom wrote:
> This is supposed to count every line in a file that contails the string
> '0004343' however, when I use the puts it will only output 1 and 0. My
> file contains 8 instances of '0004343' so I know that this isn't right.
> I was thinking that it never changes the value to what happens to it in
> the while loop. I know this is probably really simple. I just can't get
> it. Please help me? MC
>
> @count = 1
>  @total = 0
>   while line = f1.gets
>     if f1.gets =~ /0004343/ then
>      @total = @count+= 1
>     end
>  end
> puts @count
> puts @total

Change line 4 to:
     if line =~ /0004343/ then

You read twice from the file.

Regards,
Jan
Mmcolli00 M. (Guest)
on 2008-12-17 17:55
thanks
Mark T. (Guest)
On Dec 17, 10:23 am, Mmcolli00 Mom <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> This is supposed to count every line in a file that contails the string
> '0004343'

f1.grep(/0004343/).size

-- Mark.