Forum: GNU Radio USRP2 GigE Reports

Matt E. (Guest)
I have started a page on the wiki to collect information about various
GigE cards and how well they are working with the USRP2.  Please check
it out and update it with your experiences.

    http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP2GigEReports

Also, here is some basic background info about choosing a card if you
don't already have one:

http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP2UserFAQ#WhatGig...

It should also be noted that I believe that all of the ethernet problems
we are seeing are a result of bad settings in either the ethernet
interface on the host computer, or the USRP2 firmware.  It is very
unlikely that there are hardware compatibility issues.  The quicker we
get an idea which systems are affected, the quicker we can resolve the
issues.

Thanks,
Matt
Oswald Berthold (Guest)
Matt E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

>    http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP2UserFAQ#WhatGig...
>

> It should also be noted that I believe that all of the ethernet
> problems we are seeing are a result of bad settings in either the
> ethernet interface on the host computer, or the USRP2 firmware.  It is
> very unlikely that there are hardware compatibility issues.  The
> quicker we get an idea which systems are affected, the quicker we can
> resolve the issues.

dear list, please excuse my unbuffered intrusion here with a generic
request for advice on USRP / USRP2 matters:

from what i could glean so far from list and wiki, going for a USRP2
doesn't make much sense unless i would have a system featuring a
PCIe bus or doing a lot of preprocessing on the FPGA. it seems getting
a PCMCIA gigabit interface will not be doing much good. since my budget
will be burned for the radio hardware, getting an adequate laptop will
be delayed for some time.

since i aim more at RXing, the USRP also seems a better option since
it immediatly supports using both ADC channels with two daughterboards
instead of having to build a custom frontend for the basicRX module, as
would be the case with a USRP2?

thanks for any elaborations or remarks on this.
regards, opt