Forum: RSpec [Cucumber] factor out non-user steps

aidy lewis (Guest)

I have a step that has been defined by the user

Given /a logged in user/ {}

Now in that step I have my own step (not defined by the business)  of

Given "all projects have been deleted"

The second step needs to be included in the first

Given /a logged in user/ do
  Given("all projects have been deleted")
end

I am thinking that "all projects have been deleted" should be hidden
in the report.

Is there a way to prevent the sub step from being reported or should I
factor that step
off to a standard method in the features/support folder?

Aidy
Joseph W. (Guest)
aidy lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a step that has been defined by the user
>
> Given /a logged in user/ {}
>
> Now in that step I have my own step (not defined by the business)  of
>
> Given "all projects have been deleted"

This sounds like something that might be better suited to a Before /
After.

Before do
  Projects.delete_all
end
> factor that step
> off to a standard method in the features/support folder?

Which type of report are you using? In my experience the pretty and html
formatter when rending output do not display sub-steps.

Could you perhaps give an example of a report you are having problems
with?

There is currently no support for excluding steps from documentation.
Its an interesting idea but the example application of hiding steps from
the user feels wrong to me. I think that if you need to hide it from the
user then it does not really belong in the steps domain.

What do people think?

--
Joseph W.
http://blog.josephwilk.net
On Dec 16, 2008, at 6:50 AM, aidy lewis wrote:

> The second step needs to be included in the first
> off to a standard method in the features/support folder?
>
> Aidy

or I would start with a  step like

Given a site with no projects
Pat M. (Guest)
Jonathan L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

>> Given "all projects have been deleted"
>> Is there a way to prevent the sub step from being reported or should I
> or I would start with a  step like
>
> Given a site with no projects

And that step would be blank, because your database should already be
empty, or it's a precondition checking step like

Project.count.should == 0

Pat