Forum: Ruby User Prompt as a pop up - not IRB/command line?

Mmcolli00 M. (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 19:10
Has anyone heard of Ruby containing a popup window prompt for users? I
do not want to use IRB command prompt for my users. If you have heard of
this or are using it, what is it called/ how are you using this? Thanks.
MC
Einar Magnús Boson (Guest)
On 11.12.2008, at 17:03 , Mmcolli00 Mom wrote:

> Has anyone heard of Ruby containing a popup window prompt for users? I
> do not want to use IRB command prompt for my users. If you have
> heard of
> this or are using it, what is it called/ how are you using this?
> Thanks.
> MC
> --

There are several approaches, for simple things these seem good to me:

http://www.shoooes.net
http://cocoadialog.sourceforge.net/

einarmagnus
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mmcolli00 Mom
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Has anyone heard of Ruby containing a popup window prompt for users? I
> do not want to use IRB command prompt for my users. If you have heard of
> this or are using it, what is it called/ how are you using this? Thanks.

There are various options - check out zerenity, for instance

http://code.google.com/p/zerenity/

martin
Mmcolli00 M. (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 23:26
I think the Zerenity looks good. Thanks.
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Martin DeMello wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mmcolli00 Mom <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>> Has anyone heard of Ruby containing a popup window prompt for users? I
>> do not want to use IRB command prompt for my users. If you have heard of
>> this or are using it, what is it called/ how are you using this? Thanks.
>
> There are various options - check out zerenity, for instance
>
> http://code.google.com/p/zerenity/
>
> martin

Or kdialog if you are in kde.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/kdialog/

Looks like an unmaintained project though. (Never used it myself.)
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2008-12-12 14:05
Other options:

- old-fashioned tk

- run as a daemon, and have users point their web browser at localhost.
Then you can build your app using a web framework (from something as
simple as sinatra to something as big and powerful as rails; there are
lots of other options in between)
David Palacio (Guest)
On Thursday 11 December 2008 18:42:26 Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Mmcolli00 Mom <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Or kdialog if you are in kde.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/kdialog/
>
> Looks like an unmaintained project though. (Never used it myself.)
If it is KDE, you can use the kdialog command line program or the
KDE::Dialog
class in Korundum.