Forum: Ruby on Rails Blanks in date_select need configurable text

Martijn Vos (Guest)
I thought I'd mailed this already, but I haven't seen it show up
on the list, so I'm mailing it again. My apologies if it does
show up twice now.

I want something really simple: I want a date_select that has
blanks (:include_blanks works fine so far), but having an empty
value in the select box on the webpage is ugly, so I want something
more informative there, like "month" or "select a month" or something.

In other words:

<select id="user_birthdate_2i" name="user[birthdate(2i)]">
<option value="">Month</option>
<option value="1">January</option>
<option value="2">February</option>
<option value="3">March</option>
<option value="4">April</option>
<option value="5">May</option>
<option value="6">June</option>
<option value="7">July</option>
<option value="8">August</option>
<option value="9">September</option>
<option value="10">October</option>
<option value="11">November</option>
<option value="12">December</option>
</select>

How do I do that? I can't find any way to accomplish this in any
docs nor in the source, yet it seems like a really obvious thing
to want to do.

Martijn.
Sijo k. (Guest)
on 2008-12-11 13:08
There is an option prompt like
<%= select("model", "status_id", Status.find(:all).collect {|p| [
p.name, p.id ] },options ={:prompt => "<< Select any >>"}) %>

I think you can do similarly

Sijo
Martijn Vos (Guest)
On Dec 11, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Sijo Kg wrote:

> There is an option prompt like
> <%= select("model", "status_id", Status.find(:all).collect {|p| [
> p.name, p.id ] },options ={:prompt => "<< Select any >>"}) %>
>
> I think you can do similarly

Doesn't seem to work in date_select. And throwing away the
power of date_select in order to handle everything myself seems
like a bad idea. I'd rather add this functionality to date_select.

Martijn.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 11 Dec 2008, at 11:37, Martijn Vos wrote:

> Doesn't seem to work in date_select. And throwing away the
> power of date_select in order to handle everything myself seems
> like a bad idea. I'd rather add this functionality to date_select.

If you're worrying about good UI, date_select is pretty horrible
anyway. Would be something of a lipstick on a pig thing.

Fred
Martijn Vos (Guest)
On Dec 11, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Frederick C. wrote:
>> power of date_select in order to handle everything myself seems
>> like a bad idea. I'd rather add this functionality to date_select.
>>
> If you're worrying about good UI, date_select is pretty horrible
> anyway. Would be something of a lipstick on a pig thing.

Until I needed to add a nil option, date_select worked fine for
me. What's so wrong with it (other than this particular issue)?
And is there a better alternative availlable?

Thanks,
Martijn.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 11 Dec 2008, at 12:55, Martijn Vos wrote:

> And is there a better alternative availlable?
People have a hard time working with stuff like '20th december'.  Is
that a saturday or a sunday etc... Or they're thinking in terms of
'next monday' and things like that, in which case it's a lot simpler
if they don't have to do the date maths themselves.

Fred
Martijn Vos (Guest)
On Dec 11, 2008, at 1:59 PM, Frederick C. wrote:

> People have a hard time working with stuff like '20th december'.  Is
> that a saturday or a sunday etc... Or they're thinking in terms of
> 'next monday' and things like that, in which case it's a lot simpler
> if they don't have to do the date maths themselves.

Point taken. But I'm using date_select for birth dates, so for me
days of the week aren't much of an issue. I just don't want to
force a default birth date on people who are unwilling to provide
it. The day-month-year combo of date_select seems perfect for me
so far, except for the inability to provide a nice text for the
empty value.

Martijn.