Forum: Ruby on Rails News Roll

Jaikishan J. (Guest)
Hello,
I am making an application in which I have a div where a new news is
flashed
after every 5 second or so automatically. By automatically, I mean user
does
not send any request to server by clicking on anything. The approach I
think
which might work is - for news div, I call a javascript function on
onload
event function of the div, which after every 5 second sends an ajax
request
to server and update that div with a new content. However, as I
understand
that this thing needs to be implemented as a separate thread so that
rest of
the components on the webpage remains interactable. Is this the right
approach to solve this or is there a better way to do it?

Jaikishan
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 11 Dec 2008, at 02:53, Jaikishan J. wrote:

> However, as I understand that this thing needs to be implemented as
> a separate thread so that rest of the components on the webpage
> remains interactable.

That's not true.

Fred
Jaikishan J. (Guest)
Solving the similar problem, I am not sure if my previous approach was
the
right way. Another thing I could think of is that my server keeps
sending
data to my client side proactively for every 5 seconds. How that can be
acheived in rails?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Frederick C. <

> Fred

Jaikishan
Sazima (Guest)
Jaikishan,

There's no such thing in HTTP. The server can only answer client
requests, not the other way around.

Your 1st approach is correct, except your assumption of needing a
separate thread. What Fred meant is that exactly that, you don't need
a separate thread. Your regular Rails app should be more than capable
to respond to these AJAX requests.

Cheers, Sazima
Thorsten M. (Guest)
On Dec 11, 10:28 am, "Jaikishan J." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Solving the similar problem, I am not sure if my previous approach was the
> right way. Another thing I could think of is that my server keeps sending
> data to my client side proactively for every 5 seconds. How that can be
> acheived in rails?

You can use periodically_call_remote:
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Help...