Forum: RSpec a custom progress bar formatter

nicholas a. evans (Guest)
I've always been a little bit bemused by the default ruby test/unit and
rspec output.  Basically, what I want is a progress bar and that any
errors and warnings be displayed immediately. I also want warnings to be
printed for slow specs. When using color, I want the entire progress bar
printed in green if everything is good, yellow if there has been a
warning, and red if there has been an error.

And then I remembered that rspec makes it super easy to write your own
custom formatter.  So I did.  :-)

http://ekenosen.net/nick/devblog/2008/12/better-pr...

Let me know what you think.  Is this useful to anyone?  Any ideas for
improvements?
Pat M. (Guest)
"nicholas a. evans" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> http://ekenosen.net/nick/devblog/2008/12/better-pr...
>
> Let me know what you think.  Is this useful to anyone?  Any ideas for
> improvements?

Cool idea!

Pat
Zach D. (Guest)
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM, nicholas a. evans
wrote:
> http://ekenosen.net/nick/devblog/2008/12/better-pr...
Pictures are worth a thousands word, can you post a screenshot on the
blog post?

--
Zach D.
http://www.continuousthinking.com
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM, nicholas a. evans <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>> And then I remembered that rspec makes it super easy to write your own
>> custom formatter.  So I did.  :-)
>>
>> http://ekenosen.net/nick/devblog/2008/12/better-pr...
>
> Pictures are worth a thousands word, can you post a screenshot on the
> blog post?

So true, so true.  Unfortunately, a static image doesn't really show
off the progress bar very well.  So I figured out how to make a
screencast and upload it to google video.  The blog post has been
updated with both screenshot and screencast.