Forum: Ruby on Rails HABTM checkboxes insert but don't delete

tecregio (Guest)
I have a problem related with the HABTM relationships with checkboxes.

I've got a profile and a service model, both related with
has_and_belongs_to_many.

The problem is that i can insert new data in the profiles_services
table, however, i cant delete already existing data.

What could be the problem?
Andy K. (Guest)
Nick H. (Guest)
On Dec 9, 12:10 pm, tecregio <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I have a problem related with the HABTM relationships with checkboxes.
>
> I've got a profile and a service model, both related with
> has_and_belongs_to_many.
>
> The problem is that i can insert new data in the profiles_services
> table, however, i cant delete already existing data.
>
> What could be the problem?

Try putting this ProfilesController#update , before #update_attributes
is called:
  params[:profile][:service_ids] ||= []

And put this in ServicesController#update , before #update_attributes
is called:
  params[:service][:profile_ids] || = []

These are needed because forms don't submit values for unticked
checkboxes. If you watch the "HABTM Checkboxes" RailsCast, you'll
learn more about this:
http://railscasts.com/episodes/17-habtm-checkboxes

Cheers,
Nick
tecregio (Guest)
yes, i think i'm following exactly the tutorial, however it doesn't
work...

here's the code:

#profile model:

class Profile < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to                  :company
  has_and_belongs_to_many     :services
[...]
end
#

#service model:

class Service < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_and_belongs_to_many  :profiles

  validates_presence_of  :name

end

#

#profile_controller

def update
  params[:profile][:service_ids] ||= []
  @profile = Profile.find(params[:id])
  @total_services = Service.find(:all, :order => 'name')
  @profile.update_attributes(params[:profile])
  @company = @profile.company
  redirect_to :action => 'show', :id => @company.id
end

#

#partial that displays the services (i'm calling @total_services from
the show controller)

<% for s in @total_services -%>

  <%= check_box_tag "profile[service_ids][]", s.id,
@profile.services.include?(s) %>

  <%= s.name -%>

<% end %>

#

#
I've checked the generated log, and it creates the insert query when i
have newly checked services in my view, but it doesn't create the
delete query when i do uncheck.
tecregio (Guest)
hehe silly me, i should have shown you the entire code, i had a
service= definition that was conflicting with the deletion =p