Forum: Ruby on Rails thin server processes slowly growing in RAM size

Scott K. (Guest)
on 2008-12-09 17:43
When I initially start up my server I have two thin processes running
that are only about 200M in size.  They slowly creep up a few megs an
hour until now a week later they are at 400M and 300M respectively.

I realize that my site (http://wlodb.com) has some intensive pages that
take a couple seconds to render (most notably http://wlodb.com/compounds
) but I'm wondering if this is normal?  I usually get about 500,000 page
hits a month.

Should I have a cronjob to restart my server processes once a week or
should I just work on implementing some server side caching which should
resolve the issue?

thanks!
Scott K. (Guest)
on 2008-12-12 22:16
i guess nobody has as many problems as me.  in general, do thin server
processes normally keep growing and growing or do they cap out in size?
John Y. (Guest)
on 2008-12-12 23:21
Scott K. wrote:
> i guess nobody has as many problems as me.  in general, do thin server
> processes normally keep growing and growing or do they cap out in size?

Mine don't grow in size.. of course, mine arn't 200mb.
Bobnation (Guest)
I would see if there are ways for you to implement caching ... but it
also seems like there is maybe a memory leak within your code causing
some problems. I'm not expert, but those are my thoughts.

On Dec 9, 9:43 am, Scott K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Scott K. (Guest)
on 2008-12-14 17:38
Bobnation wrote:
> I would see if there are ways for you to implement caching ... but it
> also seems like there is maybe a memory leak within your code causing
> some problems. I'm not expert, but those are my thoughts.
>
> On Dec 9, 9:43�am, Scott K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

thanks for the replies.  yea, i think there may be a memory leak.  what
do you think is the best way to narrow it down to a specific page?