Forum: RSpec testing call to super in rails helper

Ivor P. (Guest)
Hi

I have the following code:

  def will_paginate(items, options = {})
    options = options.merge(:container => true, :class => 'paging')
    super(items, options)
  end

I am curious about how to test that the call to super is infact being
called
with the added options.

I have this

  it 'should call super on will_paginate' do
    helper.stub!(:will_paginate).with([], {:container => true, :class =>
'paging'}).and_return(true)
    helper.should_receive(:will_paginate).with([], {:container => true,
:class => 'paging'})
    helper.will_paginate([])
  end

But it fails as will_paginate is called with [] before being called with
([], {:container => true, :class => 'paging'})

I am relatively new to rspec, but trying to learn more - if there is a
blog
post on how to deal with these situations, please point me in the right
direction.

Help much appreciated.

Ivor
Nick H. (Guest)
On 2008-12-09, at 06:29, Ivor P. wrote:
> being called with the added options.
>
> But it fails as will_paginate is called with [] before being called
> with ([], {:container => true, :class => 'paging'})
>
> I am relatively new to rspec, but trying to learn more - if there is
> a blog post on how to deal with these situations, please point me in
> the right direction.
>
> Help much appreciated.
>
> Ivor

G'day Ivor. See this thread for details:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/151744

-Nick
Ivor P. (Guest)
Thanks Nick

the first approach seems the best for my situation.

Appreciate the response
Ivor