Forum: Ruby learning ruby and rails

Dave P. (Guest)
on 2008-12-09 05:12
i am new to all of this, so i was wondering which one i should learn
first, ruby or rails, or both at the same time?

                                                  Thanks.

                                                  Dave.
Pierre P. (Guest)
on 2008-12-09 06:04
I guess Ruby first. Once you know how the language works, you can start
learning a framework...
Sjoerd A. (Guest)
on 2008-12-09 12:16
Pierre P. wrote:
> I guess Ruby first. Once you know how the language works, you can start
> learning a framework...

Actually I started off learning Rails first. With some basic knowledge
of object oriented programming Ruby shouldn't be too hard to pick up.
When you're new to Rails there's no need to understand its internals or
advanced Ruby meta programming features. At some point you'll want to
get into that too though, but there's absolutely no need to master Ruby
first.