Forum: Ruby Ruby vs SELF

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Robert H. (Guest)
on 2008-12-06 01:03
What are the main differences between Ruby and SELF in day-to-day work
with creating "software"? I.e. I have read the description of SELF, but
I felt that I wouldnt need SELF if I just learn it because I want to see
what it offers (since I doubt that SELF is better than Ruby and I use
Ruby happily since quite many years already).

Quite curious about it though.
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2008-12-06 14:28
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Marc H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> What are the main differences between Ruby and SELF in day-to-day work
> with creating "software"? I.e. I have read the description of SELF, but
> I felt that I wouldnt need SELF if I just learn it because I want to see
> what it offers (since I doubt that SELF is better than Ruby and I use
as a specialisation of the general rule ;).
Conceptionally Self is very interesting but when I checked last Self
just was not an option on Linux. Did that change?
> Ruby happily since quite many years already).
Robert
--
Ne baisse jamais la tête, tu ne verrais plus les étoiles.

Robert D. ;)
Michael F. (Guest)
on 2008-12-06 15:03
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Robert D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Marc H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> What are the main differences between Ruby and SELF in day-to-day work
>> with creating "software"? I.e. I have read the description of SELF, but
>> I felt that I wouldnt need SELF if I just learn it because I want to see
>> what it offers (since I doubt that SELF is better than Ruby and I use
> as a specialisation of the general rule ;).
> Conceptionally Self is very interesting but when I checked last Self
> just was not an option on Linux. Did that change?

Just found while musing about Self:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/self-interest/m...

So it seems to run on linux now (again) as well.

I somehow doubt that anybody is using Self as a day-to-day work
language.

^ manveru
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2008-12-06 15:49
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Michael F.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Just found while musing about Self:
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/self-interest/m...
>
> So it seems to run on linux now (again) as well.
>
> I somehow doubt that anybody is using Self as a day-to-day work language.
>
> ^ manveru
>
>



--
Il computer non è una macchina intelligente che aiuta le persone
stupide, anzi, è una macchina stupida che funziona solo nelle mani
delle persone intelligenti.
Computers are not smart to help stupid people, rather they are stupid
and will work only if taken care of by smart people.

Umberto Eco
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2008-12-06 15:50
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Robert D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>>> Conceptionally Self is very interesting but when I checked last Self
>>> just was not an option on Linux. Did that change?
>>
>> Just found while musing about Self:
>> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/self-interest/m...
>>
>> So it seems to run on linux now (again) as well.
>>
>> I somehow doubt that anybody is using Self as a day-to-day work language.
Me too, but will be nice to play with, thx.
R.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.