Forum: Ruby on Rails Bar Chart in Rails

CSK V. (Guest)
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me how to draw a bar chart in Rails? Is there any
in-built method in Ruby on Rails (or) should i go for 3rd party plugins?
I searched and came across this "open flash chart" - i don't know how to
customize it according to my requirement.

PS: I have attached my requirement sample for you reference.

Thanks,
Vasanth
Jaikishan J. (Guest)
I have used Open Flash Charts. Try referring at pullmonkey.com . It has
some
good samples to get started.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 1:49 PM, CSK Vasanth <

> Vasanth
>
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/3024/bar_chart.JPG
>
> --

Jaikishan
CSK V. (Guest)
on 2008-12-05 12:52
Hi Jaikishan,
The site you gave was good. But how to install Open Flash Chart plugin?
where can i find the Gem file for that? I have to install the Gem file
here in both Windows (development) and Linux (production) environment.

I tried this
"ruby script/plugin install
http://svn.pullmonkey.com/plugins/trunk/open_flash...
but it didn't work out for me. I think it would be better if i can get
that Gem file.

Can anyone tell me where to find that Gem file?

Thanks,
Vasanth

Jaikishan J. wrote:
> I have used Open Flash Charts. Try referring at pullmonkey.com . It has
> some
> good samples to get started.
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 1:49 PM, CSK Vasanth <
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Vasanth
>>
>> Attachments:
>> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/3024/bar_chart.JPG
>>
>> --
>>

> --
> Thanks,
> Jaikishan
Nellboy (Guest)
theoretically it could be done using the Rmagick 2D drawing methods,
although i'm sure there's probably a better way

On Dec 5, 10:52 am, CSK Vasanth <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Jaikishan J. (Guest)
Vasanth,

You can download it from
http://github.com/pullmonkey/open_flash_chart/tree/master. Just copy the
downloaded folder under vendor/plugins and you will be ready to go.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM, CSK Vasanth <

> that Gem file.
> > good samples to get started.

Jaikishan
Kaushik katari (Guest)
I have been using FusionCharts. There is no gem, but I have a blog post
on
how to get started:
http://forecasthorizon.blogspot.com/2008/07/fusion...
.

The post is on a line chart, but it is very easy to do any number of
charts
using FusionCharts. And you do not need to install RMagick, which I feel
is
a big bonus.
Kaushik
Jej (Guest)
Gruff is nice as well.

http://nubyonrails.com/pages/gruff

Jej
Bob O (Guest)
I recently used FusionCharts the free version. They have great
documentation and it is pretty easy to connect them with a .rxml Once
you get the hang of using them, they have many different types..

http://www.fusioncharts.com/free/

On Dec 5, 1:19 am, CSK Vasanth <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Andy (Guest)
I highly recommend the Ziya gem. Fairly easy to use and you have a ton
of control over all the aspects of the chart. There are a few examples
on my website (http://www.assetcorrelation.com) but I'm hesitant to
point you there because I'm severely deficient in anything relating to
graphic design so my graphs don't look nearly as good as some of the
other examples I've seen.

On Dec 5, 12:19 am, CSK Vasanth <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Dejan D. (Guest)
You can even try http://code.google.com/apis/chart/types.html#bar_charts
but all depends on your application needs ;-)