Forum: Ruby on Rails mysql warning

Nilesh K. (Guest)
Hi everyone.

 In development.log one message always appears as

* WARNING: You're using the Ruby-based MySQL library that ships with
Rails.
This library is not suited for production. Please install the C-based
MySQL
library instead (gem install mysql).*

Though I have installed mysql using the command(gem install mysql). Can
anyone tell me why it is coming as warning?

Thanks,
Nilesh.
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 03 Dec 2008, at 06:19, Nilesh K. wrote:

>  In development.log one message always appears as
>
>  WARNING: You're using the Ruby-based MySQL library that ships with
> Rails. This library is not suited for production. Please install the
> C-based MySQL library instead (gem install mysql).
>
> Though I have installed mysql using the command(gem install mysql).
> Can anyone tell me why it is coming as warning?

Means it isn't installed properly. On most operating systems, just
doing "gem install mysql" won't work properly anyway, because you need
sudo privileges to do it. "sudo gem install mysql" should work better.
Also make sure you pick the right version (win-32 if you use windows).
In these cases it's better to mention your operating system in your
post, now we can only guess what you are using.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Nilesh K. (Guest)
Hi Peter. I am using XP OS and MySql server version is 5.0.41. Ruby's
version: 1.8.6 and Rails version: 2.2.2
Kaushik katari (Guest)
From irb, try 'require mysql'. If you get true, then it should be
installed
correctly.

BTW, I have the same configuration as well, and I tried Mysql 5.1, and
it
did not work. I had to go back to 5.0.x

Kaushik