Forum: Ruby on Rails validates acceptance of question

(Guest)
I have a terms of service agreement attached to a checkbox. It seems
to work ok and I see

"agreement"=>"0"   when the box is not checked in the development log

and

"agreement"=>"1" when the box is checked in the log.

But in the model I this validation:

validates_acceptance_of :agreement,
                          :message => "Please accept the terms to
proceed"

So when the form is actually filled out, no matter whether the box is
checked or not I get:

1 error prohibited this agent from being saved

There were problems with the following fields:

-Agreement,   Please accept the terms to proceed

So what am I missing to get this to work?
Philip H. (Guest)

> There were problems with the following fields:
>
> -Agreement,   Please accept the terms to proceed
>

> So what am I missing to get this to work?

is :agreement a field in your database? if so the docs say...

:accept - Specifies value that is considered accepted. The default
value is a string "1", which makes it easy to relate to an HTML
checkbox. This should be set to true if you are validating a database
column, since the attribute is typecast from "1" to true before
validation.
(Guest)
Yes, :agreement is a field in my database. Should I remove it?
In any case I did set the :accept => "true", but it didn't change
anything. I get the same error when I submit the form whether or not
the box is checked.
The html shows:

<ul><div class="fieldWithErrors"><input checked="checked"
id="agent_agreement" name="agent[agreement]" type="checkbox"
value="1" /></div><div class="fieldWithErrors"><input name="agent
[agreement]" type="hidden" value="0" /></div>

Am I reading this right that after the checkbox value is set to "1"
that then there is a hidden value that is setting it to "0"? Is this
supposed to be this way?
Philip H. (Guest)
On Dec 2, 2008, at 10:05 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> Yes, :agreement is a field in my database. Should I remove it?
> In any case I did set the :accept => "true", but it didn't change
> anything. I get the same error when I submit the form whether or not
> the box is checked.

Set :accept => true  (no quotes).  That's how I read the docs... if
it's a database column, you need that.
(Guest)
Thanks for your help. That was it. Remove the quotes and it works.