Forum: Ruby on Rails newbee- problems installing passenger

Gikuk A. (Guest)
on 2008-12-01 00:06

I try to install passenger on win XP sp3
I have installed
- ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]
- gem version 1.3.1
without problems.

I don't have a web server installed yet, and no database.
I don't have any microsoft compiler on my machine, and it looks as
though passenger requires it (?)
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Amir
--------------

This is what I get:

C:\>gem install passenger
ERROR:  Error installing passenger:

C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install passenger
creating Makefile

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0
.1-x86-mswin32 for inspection.
Results logged to
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0.1-x86-mswin32/ex
t/fastthread/gem_make.out
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 30 Nov 2008, at 22:06, Gikuk Amir wrote:

> I don't have any microsoft compiler on my machine, and it looks as
> though passenger requires it (?)
> What am I doing wrong?

 From the docs (
http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guid...
  )
"Phusion Passenger works on any POSIX-compliant operating system. In
other words: practically any operating system on earth, except
Microsoft Windows."

More generally  if you see "Building native extension..." then you
either need the appropriate compiler and toolchain or you need to find
a prebuilt version.
Fred