Forum: Ruby on Rails setup rails

Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-11-29 23:49
Hi

I m begining in Ruby

I follow this tuotiriel
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnWindows

After I setup, I typed this command
gem update --system

But it says, this command is unknown ?!!!
Freddy A. (Guest)
Whats the exact message you get? And is this on a linux/mac or windows
desktop?
Davo (Guest)
What O/S are you on ?
Has Gem been previously installed somehow ?
gem update is only relevant if it has previously been installed.
More info and I'm sure help will come !
cheers Dave

On Nov 30, 6:49 am, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-11-30 06:39
Davo wrote:
> What O/S are you on ?
> Has Gem been previously installed somehow ?
> gem update is only relevant if it has previously been installed.
> More info and I'm sure help will come !
> cheers Dave
>

> On Nov 30, 6:49�am, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

My OS is Windows ! and it says that it does not recognize the command
unless I go to c:/ruby/bin/

???
Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-11-30 06:47
Ideale I. wrote:
> Davo wrote:
>> What O/S are you on ?
>> Has Gem been previously installed somehow ?
>> gem update is only relevant if it has previously been installed.
>> More info and I'm sure help will come !
>> cheers Dave
>>

>> On Nov 30, 6:49�am, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
>
> My OS is Windows ! and it says that it does not recognize the command
> unless I go to c:/ruby/bin/
>
> ???

The CLASSPATH WAS :
.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

I CHANGED IT TO
.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;C:\ruby\bin

IS THAT OK ? :-) It does not work yet ? :-(
Teedub (Guest)
Your path doe not have correct entry "C:\ruby\bin"

I found this :

Re: how do you run ruby on windows
Posted by Michael Tomer (michael_tomer)
on 20.11.2008 17:15

Just in case you are having trouble with your Windows path variable,
here's how to add a folder to it:

*Go to your desktop and right click "My Computer".

*Select "properties" from the menu.

*Click the "Advanced" tab.

*At the bottom of the window, there's a button labeled "Environment
Variables". Click it.

*There are two listboxes on the window, the bottom one is called
"System
variables". Scroll through that box until you come across "Path".
Select
"Path" and click the "Edit" button.

*Click the "Variable value" textbox and hit the "End" key on your
keyboard. Type a semi-colon followed by the absolute path to your
ruby
bin folder.

Also, you can always check what folder IRB is running in by typing
"Dir.pwd". You can get a list of all the .rb file in the folder IRB
is
currently operating in with "Dir.glob('*.rb')". Also, you can change
the
path that IRB is operating in with "Dir.chdir('c:\my_ruby_files\')".

On Nov 29, 8:47 pm, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-11-30 08:02
Teedub wrote:
> Your path doe not have correct entry "C:\ruby\bin"
>
> I found this :
>

> Re: how do you run ruby on windows
> Posted by Michael Tomer (michael_tomer)
> on 20.11.2008 17:15
>
> Just in case you are having trouble with your Windows path variable,
> here's how to add a folder to it:
>
> *Go to your desktop and right click "My Computer".
>
> *Select "properties" from the menu.
>
> *Click the "Advanced" tab.
>
> *At the bottom of the window, there's a button labeled "Environment
> Variables". Click it.
>
> *There are two listboxes on the window, the bottom one is called
> "System
> variables". Scroll through that box until you come across "Path".
> Select
> "Path" and click the "Edit" button.
>
> *Click the "Variable value" textbox and hit the "End" key on your
> keyboard. Type a semi-colon followed by the absolute path to your
> ruby
> bin folder.
>
> Also, you can always check what folder IRB is running in by typing
> "Dir.pwd". You can get a list of all the .rb file in the folder IRB
> is
> currently operating in with "Dir.glob('*.rb')". Also, you can change
> the
> path that IRB is operating in with "Dir.chdir('c:\my_ruby_files\')".
>

> On Nov 29, 8:47�pm, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

OH MY GOD ! That s what I did ! but it does not work !!!!!!! :'''(((

old
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\

NEW
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\ruby\bin\

IT DOES NOT WORK, Please, let me know what to do
Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-11-30 17:38
please help ;((
John I. (Guest)
http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Rol...

On Nov 30, 9:38 am, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-12-01 05:20
John I. wrote:
> http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Rol...

> On Nov 30, 9:38�am, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

what a silly girl I am :((( I installed rails BUT NOT RUBY !!!
Now I'm installing ruby first before installing rails ...
Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-12-01 05:28
Ideale I. wrote:
> John I. wrote:
>> http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Rol...

>> On Nov 30, 9:38�am, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
>
> what a silly girl I am :((( I installed rails BUT NOT RUBY !!!
> Now I'm installing ruby first before installing rails ...

Oh ! no, I think ruby = rails ? The two files I'm trying to download are
finally the same ...

OK, Please, tell me if I'm on the right way

FIRST
I uninstalled ruby from my computer

SECOND
I download and install this link for windows
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/GettingSta...

Is that ok ?
Ideale I. (Guest)
on 2008-12-01 05:32
Ideale I. wrote:
> Ideale I. wrote:
>> John I. wrote:
>>> http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Rol...

>>> On Nov 30, 9:38�am, Ideale I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
>>
>> what a silly girl I am :((( I installed rails BUT NOT RUBY !!!
>> Now I'm installing ruby first before installing rails ...
>
> Oh ! no, I think ruby = rails ? The two files I'm trying to download are
> finally the same ...
>
> OK, Please, tell me if I'm on the right way
>
> FIRST
> I uninstalled ruby from my computer
>
> SECOND
> I download and install this link for windows
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/GettingSta...
>
> Is that ok ?

OK ! IT WOOOOORKS !!!! BUT I still dont understand ! I did not do any
thing I just uninstalled and reinstalled ruby again ! and now it works
!!!

sooo strange !