Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing from Git with current Rails version

Vahagn H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-28 14:38

Hi,-

I'm trying without success to install a plugin from Git using the
command:

$ script/plugin install http://github.com/pyrat/wee_lightbox.git

What I get is:

removing: /Users/vahagn/myapp/vendor/plugins/wee_lightbox/.git
sh: git: command not found

Then I checked this page:
http://github.com/blog/25-git-support-for-rails-plugins

And it says this is only possible using Edge Rails. Does anyone know if
this still holds true, or maybe my mistake lies elsewhere?

Rails version: 2.1.1

Thanks!

/ Vahagn
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 28 Nov 2008, at 13:38, Vahagn H. wrote:

> removing: /Users/vahagn/myapp/vendor/plugins/wee_lightbox/.git
> sh: git: command not found
>
> Then I checked this page:
> http://github.com/blog/25-git-support-for-rails-plugins
>
> And it says this is only possible using Edge Rails. Does anyone know
> if
> this still holds true, or maybe my mistake lies elsewhere?

It's just telling you that you don't have git installed. Install git
from http://git.or.cz/ and all should be well.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Vahagn H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-28 15:07
Hi Peter,-

I had actually installed Git using this package:
http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/

but maybe it is not the newest version?

Best regards,
Vahagn

Peter De Berdt wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2008, at 13:38, Vahagn H. wrote:
>
>> removing: /Users/vahagn/myapp/vendor/plugins/wee_lightbox/.git
>> sh: git: command not found
>>
>> Then I checked this page:
>> http://github.com/blog/25-git-support-for-rails-plugins
>>
>> And it says this is only possible using Edge Rails. Does anyone know
>> if
>> this still holds true, or maybe my mistake lies elsewhere?
>
> It's just telling you that you don't have git installed. Install git
> from http://git.or.cz/ and all should be well.
>

> Best regards
>
> Peter De Berdt
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 28 Nov 2008, at 14:07, Vahagn H. wrote:

> I had actually installed Git using this package:
> http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/
>
> but maybe it is not the newest version?

Then it might just be that /usr/local/git is not in your path.

In the terminal, do:
which git

If git can be found, it will say something like: /usr/local/git/bin/git
If nothing is returned, it doesn't find the git application. If so,
add this to your ~/.bash_login file (if it doesn't exist, create it):

PATH="/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/local/git:${PATH}"
export PATH

Then close the terminal session and start a new one.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Vahagn H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-28 15:21
Thanks a lot! Will give it a try.

All the best, Vahagn

Peter De Berdt wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2008, at 14:07, Vahagn H. wrote:
>
>> I had actually installed Git using this package:
>> http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/
>>
>> but maybe it is not the newest version?
>
> Then it might just be that /usr/local/git is not in your path.
>
> In the terminal, do:
> which git
>
> If git can be found, it will say something like: /usr/local/git/bin/git
> If nothing is returned, it doesn't find the git application. If so,
> add this to your ~/.bash_login file (if it doesn't exist, create it):
>
> PATH="/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/local/git:${PATH}"
> export PATH
>
> Then close the terminal session and start a new one.
>
> Best regards
>
> Peter De Berdt
Vahagn H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-28 15:52
Sorry, but something seems to be wrong here. I've added the path, so now
I have:

$ cat .bash_login
PATH="/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/local/git:${PATH}"
export PATH

Also git is there:

$ ls /usr/local/git/bin/
git      git-shell    gitk
git-cvsserver    git-upload-archive
git-receive-pack  git-upload-pack

But $ which git just gives a blank new line! I've tried restarting the
Mac, but nothing.

Really mystified here, any help help appreciated!

/ Vahagn

Vahagn H. wrote:
> Thanks a lot! Will give it a try.
>
> All the best, Vahagn
>
> Peter De Berdt wrote:
>> On 28 Nov 2008, at 14:07, Vahagn H. wrote:
>>
>>> I had actually installed Git using this package:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/
>>>
>>> but maybe it is not the newest version?
>>
>> Then it might just be that /usr/local/git is not in your path.
>>
>> In the terminal, do:
>> which git
>>
>> If git can be found, it will say something like: /usr/local/git/bin/git
>> If nothing is returned, it doesn't find the git application. If so,
>> add this to your ~/.bash_login file (if it doesn't exist, create it):
>>
>> PATH="/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/local/git:${PATH}"
>> export PATH
>>
>> Then close the terminal session and start a new one.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Peter De Berdt
Vahagn H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-28 17:41
Issue resolved! One must configure Git BEFORE sudo make install:

http://www.freshblurbs.com/installing-git-os-x-3-minutes

/ Vahagn
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 28 Nov 2008, at 13:52, Vahagn H. wrote:

> Sorry, but something seems to be wrong here. I've added the path, so
> now
> I have:
>
> $ cat .bash_login
> PATH="/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/local/git:${PATH}"
> export PATH

What does echo $PATH
output?
Personally I can never remember the difference
between .bash_login, .bash_profile, .bash_rc etc...
In 10.5 at least there is another mechanism:
if you create a file in /etc/paths.d containing the path you want then
that will be added to the search list.

Fred
Vahagn H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-28 17:52
Hi Fred, seems like our comments have crossed each other. Still in the
high name of knowledge sharing here's the answer:

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/bin
$ which git
/usr/local/bin/git

Thanks for the tip with /etc/paths.d. I was initially also taken aback
by the ~/.bash_login file, because on my machine there's a file at root
level named #.bash_profile# . When I cat this file, nothing comes out of
it. Yet when I open it in a text program the contents are the same as in
the (hidden!) ~/.bash_login file! What most strange is when I do a ls -a
BOTH these files are displayed:

#.bash_login#
.
..
.CFUserTextEncoding
.DS_Store
.Trash
.Xauthority
.Xcode
.bash_history
.bash_login
.bash_profile
.csh_history
.
.
.
etc

Must be Leopard's way of telling you that this file is important
somehow. Strange, as it looks like information duplication.

/ Vahagn