Forum: Rails Engines development Interesting developments on the edge!

Tekin S. (Guest)
http://github.com/rails/rails/commit/63d8f56774dcb...

Tekin S.

Freelance Ruby on Rails Developer
+44 (0) 7968 355 460
http://tekin.co.uk
James A. (Guest)
David spoke to me yesterday about this. We're going to be folding a
lot (but possibly/probably not all) of the functionality into Rails :)
Rob M. (Guest)
AWESOME news!  Any idea what won't make the cut?  Asset management
stuff, perhaps?

-Rob
Tekin S. (Guest)
After everything that's come before, that is great news! I guess they
were looking for a 'big new feature' for the next release! ;0

On 26 Nov 2008, at 15:24, James A. wrote:

David spoke to me yesterday about this. We're going to be folding a
lot (but possibly/probably not all) of the functionality into Rails :)
James A. (Guest)
Asset management will be in, probably migrations too, although in a
simplified form. The only thing we haven't discussed so far is the
code mixing.

James
Jonathan R. (Guest)
The code mixing is incredibly useful for allowing Engines to be
used/shared effectively in a DRY way.  But if it's not in Rails distro,
it can always still be in a very small separate Engines package. This is
good stuff, thanks Rails core.

Jonathan

James A. wrote:

Jonathan R.
Digital Services Software Engineer
The Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
410.516.8886
rochkind (at) jhu.edu
Andrew R. (Guest)
I'm happy to see this but I am curious.  Why did the rails team change
their
minds?
James A. (Guest)
I believe David has discovered that he has a personal usecase for
them, essentially. As with most things that make it into Rails, one of
the contributors needs to personally need it for it to really be
considered :)

James
Tekin S. (Guest)
> As with most things that make it into Rails, one of the contributors
> needs to personally need it for it to really be considered :)

Ain't that the truth!
Sven F. (Guest)
I don't know what made him change his mind today, but after his
keynote at railsconf eu I've mentioned to him that people today are
using Engines for something pretty similar to what he suggested in his
talk ("concern'izing" stuff to modules), just one level up in the
architecture (i.e. using plugins). He was amazed and said he liked
that idea.

I'm just happy that finally I can stop dealing with fud in
#rubyonrails and elsewhere about "david says engines are deprecated".

Oh, btw ... James, thank you for Engines ;)
Andrew R. (Guest)
Think we will get model mixins out of this?
seth b. (Guest)
Fuck yes!

I'm sending a big FU to everyone who said putting Substruct on Engines
2+ years ago was a bad move.

Glad to see people are finally waking up and realizing Engines kick ass.

--------------------
seth - subimage llc
-----
http://sublog.subimage.com
-----
Cashboard - Estimates, invoices, and time tracking software - for free!
http://www.getcashboard.com
-----
Substruct - Open source RoR e-commerce software.
http://code.google.com/p/substruct/
ross w. (Guest)
on 2011-05-05 12:46