Forum: Ruby Problems while creating a new migration file

Indu R. (Guest)
on 2008-11-26 11:45
Hello ,

  I am a ROR beginner. I have a controller named "users" and the
corresponding view,model created using the command "ruby script/generate
scaffold user name:string".By running the command rake db:migrate will
create the table "users" with a field "name" and the migration file
created automatically is "001_create_users.rb". Now when I tried to add
one more column "password"
by creating a new migration file using the command "ruby script/generate
migration create_users" and made the appropriate changes like
"add_column :users,:password,:string" in that file, an error is occuring
like "Another file named 001_create_users.rb already exists". May any
one let me know what is the problem? I am using the right way or not?

Thanks in advance
Indu
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2008-11-26 13:48
Indu RS wrote:
>   I am a ROR beginner.

Welcome, but I'm afraid you're on the wrong list. Please post your
question to a Rails mailing list or forum.

Whilst there are some Rails users here, this mailing list is primarily
for discussion of the Ruby Language (which Rails just happens to be
written in).

Regards,

Brian.
Harald Eilertsen (Guest)
Indu RS wrote:
> by creating a new migration file using the command "ruby script/generate
> migration create_users" and made the appropriate changes like
> "add_column :users,:password,:string" in that file, an error is occuring
> like "Another file named 001_create_users.rb already exists".

Try to name your migration after what it is doing, e.g:
./script/generate migration AddPasswordToUserModel

Don't know why you get the error you do, but naming migrations more
uniquely should at least avoid it :)

H!