Forum: NGINX Welcome to Nginx message

Swanilda Suarez (Guest)
I have installed nginx, but I was wondering what do I need to do in
order to
be able to type the ip address and instead of getting the welcome
screen,
have my webpage come up.
In other words every time I type xx.xx.xx.xx I get "Welcome to Nginx"
but I
want to go to my url now. It works fine if I type the domain name but
not
the ip
Jim O. (Guest)
If you only have the one domain, a simple way would be to delete or
rename
the nginx/html directory and then create a symbolic link to nginx/html
from
your doc root.

# mv  /path/to/nginx/html /path/to/nginx/html.bak

# ln -s /path/to/doc/root /path/to/nginx/html

I have installed nginx, but I was wondering what do I need to do in
order to
be able to type the ip address and instead of getting the welcome
screen,
have my webpage come up.
In other words every time I type xx.xx.xx.xx I get "Welcome to Nginx"
but I
want to go to my url now. It works fine if I type the domain name but
not
the ip
Swanilda Suarez (Guest)
Pardon my ignorance but would this work if Nginx is residing on a
different
machine than the web-servers. I am using it as a proxy for two Windows
web-servers.
My impression is that this will only work if Nginx is residing on the
same
machine as the webservers, but I could be obviously wrong.
Thanks
Almir K. (Guest)
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:17:14PM -0700, Swanilda Suarez wrote:
> I have installed nginx, but I was wondering what do I need to do in order to
> be able to type the ip address and instead of getting the welcome screen,
> have my webpage come up.
> In other words every time I type xx.xx.xx.xx I get "Welcome to Nginx" but I
> want to go to my url now. It works fine if I type the domain name but not
> the ip

make the desired vhost 'default', you can either user "server_name _; "
or
"listen x.x.x.x:80 default;"
Igor S. (Guest)
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:38:13PM +0100, Almir K. wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:17:14PM -0700, Swanilda Suarez wrote:
> > I have installed nginx, but I was wondering what do I need to do in order to
> > be able to type the ip address and instead of getting the welcome screen,
> > have my webpage come up.
> > In other words every time I type xx.xx.xx.xx I get "Welcome to Nginx" but I
> > want to go to my url now. It works fine if I type the domain name but not
> > the ip
>
> make the desired vhost 'default', you can either user "server_name _; " or
> "listen x.x.x.x:80 default;"

No, "server_name _" does not make a server as default. This is simply
nonexistent name that can not interfere with other names.

Only "listen default" does the default server for given IP:port.
Muhamad M. (Guest)
removed_email_address@domain.invalid