Forum: Ruby on Rails About Browser detection

saurav (Guest)
Hi all ,
         I am new for ROR . Is there any way to detect the browsers
from rails application??
I having some issue of designing due to that, my tabs create gap,
which is not there.???
Any  Idea?
James M. (Guest)
Hi, yes, there are ways to detect the browser.  You should also
consider starting off with a professionally designed web site and just
modify the contents.  Unless you intend to tackle learning Rails and
styling around browser differences (which have entire books written
just for this).

Check out Open Source Web D.s for free templates to jump start
your site.

  http://www.oswd.org/

--
James M.
Steve R. (Guest)
On Nov 25, 2008, at 3:42 AM, saurav wrote:

> Hi all ,
>         I am new for ROR . Is there any way to detect the browsers
> from rails application??
> I having some issue of designing due to that, my tabs create gap,
> which is not there.???
> Any  Idea?

Yes. Look in request.user_agent.

So you might do something like this:

   def ua_identifier(ua_string)
     return :chrome if ua_string =~ /Chrome/i
     return :ie if ua_string =~ /MSIE/
     return :safari if ua_string =~ /Safari/
     return :firefox if ua_string =~ /Firefox/i
   end

and then

do_safari_stuff if ua_identifier(request.user_agent) == :safari

The code I showed only figures out what generic kind of browser you
are receiving a request from.

Hope this helps.