Forum: Radiant CMS [ANN] Summarize Extension

Arik J. (Guest)
on 2008-11-25 03:09
This is my first (albeit simple) extension for RadiantCMS. The summarize
extension provides functionality that allows you to excerpt/summarize a
part of your page's content. It basically allows you to create a teaser.
The link tells the story a little better.

http://github.com/imakethings/radiant-summarize-extension

Check it out.
Nate T. (Guest)
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Arik J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> This is my first (albeit simple) extension for RadiantCMS. The summarize
> extension provides functionality that allows you to excerpt/summarize a
> part of your page's content. It basically allows you to create a teaser.
> The link tells the story a little better.
>
> http://github.com/imakethings/radiant-summarize-extension

I just finished a project that could have used this. Give me a couple of
days and I'll try and add it into the mix before my site goes live.

~Nate
Arik J. (Guest)
on 2008-11-25 04:17
Nate T. wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Arik J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> This is my first (albeit simple) extension for RadiantCMS. The summarize
>> extension provides functionality that allows you to excerpt/summarize a
>> part of your page's content. It basically allows you to create a teaser.
>> The link tells the story a little better.
>>
>> http://github.com/imakethings/radiant-summarize-extension
>>

> I just finished a project that could have used this. Give me a couple of
> days and I'll try and add it into the mix before my site goes live.
>

> ~Nate

Feel free to let me know if works out. You can see a live example of
this extension at my site.

http://atinypixel.com
Chris P. (Guest)
I've been doing something similar using snippets and layouts.  Is there
a fundamental difference between your version and this?

What I do now:

   1. In my layout I put the following code:

      <r:if_content part="intro"><r:content part="intro"
/></r:if_content>
      <r:content />

   2. I also have a snippet named "intro" with the following:

      <r:content part="intro" /> <r:link>More...</r:link>

   3. When creating a page I can create an "intro" tab and put my
      intro/teaser paragraph.  I then continue the body of my page
      content in the "body" tab.

   4. When I'm on a page where I want to create the intro bit, I just
do:

      <r:find url="url/to/page/with/intro"><r:snippet
name="intro"></r:find>

-Chris
Arik J. (Guest)
on 2008-11-26 20:07
There is a very big difference. You don't have to create extra snippets
and page parts to extract a summary. It's

You simply drop an  `<r:more />` tag in your one body page part and the
extension takes care of the rest. No extra page parts or snippets. I
built this cause I blog a lot and got tired of hacking a way to do
summaries/teasers.
Chris P. (Guest)
Got it.  I just wanted to find out if there were any other hidden
features I hadn't noticed.

There's definitely a benefit to not having to create page parts -- it's
easier to see the whole page's content in one place.  I don't mind the
one-time extra snippet, though.

Nice extension.

-Chris
Steven S. (Guest)
Radiant is such a nice platform to develop on that it really pains me
to choose another CMS for an upcoming website.  It's mainly a brochure
site but they also sell about 50 products.  They currently have an
outdated CMS and a yahoo shopping cart.  They want to move forward
with an integrated approach.  I've been trying out Substruct which has
both of these features.  The Cart is great but the CMS just fall short
of what I've gotten accustom to.  Mainly, there's no control of the
layout or CSS from the back-end.  It might be possible to fix that but
I'm not sure how much work it would be.  I've also looked at Spree.
It looks okay for a cart but doesn't seem to have any other CMS type
functions.  Maybe it would work well side by side with Radiant or as
sub domain but I don't see any way it could be integrated.

What are some other approach people have taken to give this type of
client what they need?

Steven

http://www.stevensouthard.com
Simon Rönnqvist (Guest)
Hi!

I've found the shopping module Übercart for Drupal really good. Of
course Drupal is PHP-based and all... but really flexible and has a
lot of other modules, so very seldom I find myself coding PHP when
using Drupal anyways. Generally speaking I use Drupal for more
advanced sites, with lots of features, although pretty standard ones
(so that you can find ready made modules for them)... while as Radiant
CMS again is more appropriate for simpler sites when you want things
working your way without much hassle and configuration.

http://www.ubercart.org/

   cheers, Simon
PS. There's also the Drupal E-commerce module, but I find Übercart
more ready out of the box.. and its community seems more active too.
Marcus B. (Guest)
Okay, my vote for best eCommerce solution, anywhere, is Magento.
(www.magentocommerce.com) I love it very much! ;-)

Marcus
Marcus B. (Guest)
Steven,

Just checked out your home page.  You do nice work!

Marcus
Arik J. (Guest)
on 2008-11-26 23:32
Marcus B. wrote:
> Okay, my vote for best eCommerce solution, anywhere, is Magento.
> (www.magentocommerce.com) I love it very much! ;-)
>
> Marcus

Yeah, I've worked with Magento before. I hated it. Then again, I hate
MOST php-based projects.
Marcus B. (Guest)
Well, each to their own.  It's much better than substruct (IMHO), but I
don't want to start a flame war.
rp8 -. (Guest)
on 2008-12-20 11:04
The link does not work.

Regards,

rp8
=======================
http://lun.competo.com/

Arik J. wrote:
> This is my first (albeit simple) extension for RadiantCMS. The summarize
> extension provides functionality that allows you to excerpt/summarize a
> part of your page's content. It basically allows you to create a teaser.
> The link tells the story a little better.
>
> http://github.com/imakethings/radiant-summarize-extension
>
> Check it out.
Arik J. (Guest)
on 2008-12-20 17:19
Sorry guys... the repo can be found here:

http://github.com/atinypixel/radiant-summarize-extension/
Victor Zuniga (Guest)
Going trough the Spree documentation found the following towards the
bottom
of the page:

http://spreehq.org/features

Planned Features:

"We are currently planning on having CMS integrate with existing Rails
CMS
platforms such as Radiant, Mephisto and Typo."

Victor