Forum: Ruby on Rails Mongrel cluster processes not starting

Richard M. (Guest)
I am starting my mongrel processes with

mongrel_rails cluster::start

or

sudo mongrel_rails cluster::start

starting port 8000
starting port 8001
starting port 8002
starting port 8003

and they appear to have started, but they haven't

mongrel_rails cluster::status

gives me

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.
8000.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8000

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.
8001.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8001

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.
8002.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8002

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.
8003.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8003

Why could this be?? I have opened up the permissions so all can access
these, I have even tried it at 777 but I get the same results.

If I add dummy pids to the directory it notices they are there and
gives me errors on start up so it is recognizing this directory, but
not bothering to add the pids or start up...

Somebody help!

Many thanks

Richard
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Nov 22, 7:26 am, Richard <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Why could this be?? I have opened up the permissions so all can access
> these, I have even tried it at 777 but I get the same results.
>
> If I add dummy pids to the directory it notices they are there and
> gives me errors on start up so it is recognizing this directory, but
> not bothering to add the pids or start up...

check mongrel's log file. This could be something like a typo in
environment.rb, a missin log file etc...

Fred
Richard M. (Guest)
Thanks for the reply Fred,

Yes I did as you suggested and saw that the ports were being used by
another instance of mongrel which had been started somewhen, maybe
during testing or something.

I killed these processes then mongrel played nicely.

Now I have to work out why subdomain_fu isn't working, maybe I will
use the gem rather than the plugin...

Thanks again

Richard

On Nov 22, 10:13 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>