Forum: Rails deployment Mongrel cluster processes not starting

Richard M. (Guest)
on 2008-11-22 09:24
I am starting my mongrel processes with

mongrel_rails cluster::start

or

sudo mongrel_rails cluster::start

starting port 8000
starting port 8001
starting port 8002
starting port 8003

and they appear to have started, but they haven't

mongrel_rails cluster::status

gives me

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8000.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8000

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8001.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8001

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8002.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8002

missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8003.pid
missing mongrel_rails: port 8003

Why could this be?? I have opened up the permissions so all can access
these, I have even tried it at 777 but I get the same results.

If I add dummy pids to the directory it notices they are there and
gives me errors on start up so it is recognizing this directory, but
not bothering to add the pids or start up...

Somebody help!

Many thanks

Richard
Vincent B. (Guest)
on 2009-01-24 23:31
Richard Mcintyre wrote:
> I am starting my mongrel processes with
>
> mongrel_rails cluster::start
>
> or
>
> sudo mongrel_rails cluster::start
>
> starting port 8000
> starting port 8001
> starting port 8002
> starting port 8003
>
> and they appear to have started, but they haven't
>
> mongrel_rails cluster::status
>
> gives me
>
> missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8000.pid
> missing mongrel_rails: port 8000
>
> missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8001.pid
> missing mongrel_rails: port 8001
>
> missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8002.pid
> missing mongrel_rails: port 8002
>
> missing pid_file: /var/www/railsdeploy/current/tmp/pids/mongrel.8003.pid
> missing mongrel_rails: port 8003
>
> Why could this be?? I have opened up the permissions so all can access
> these, I have even tried it at 777 but I get the same results.
>
> If I add dummy pids to the directory it notices they are there and
> gives me errors on start up so it is recognizing this directory, but
> not bothering to add the pids or start up...
>
> Somebody help!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Richard

Checkout the logs, it looks like mongrel is starting up and shutting
down. There should be something in the mongrel or production log. Most
often this is because of missing gems or wrong rails version inside
application enviremont.rb.

Vincent
http://www.vunkyblog.net