Forum: Ruby libxml-ruby segfault on CentOS 5 (64 bit)

Sebastian W. (Guest)
on 2008-11-22 03:13
Hello all,
Wondering if anyone has had issues with libxml-ruby segfaulting on
64-bit CentOS 5. This problem is reproducible both using the yum
installed version of Ruby (1.8.5) and Ruby 1.8.7-p72 (compiled from
source). I'm at my wits end here -- the problem seems to be reproducible
only on 64 bit linux.

-bash-3.1$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]
-bash-3.1$ uname -a
Linux myhost 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 19:46:53 EDT 2007 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
-bash-3.1$ rake all
(in /path/to/my/rake/file)
my_script_which_uses_libxml_ruby.rb:65: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

I'm not really sure where to begin in asking for help -- I've never had
this kind of issue before. The offending method looks as follows:

def set_cdata_client_mapping_by_name(name, cdata)
  node = get_vcs_root_by_name(name)
  client_mapping = node.first.find("param[@name='client-mapping']")
  client_mapping.first.first.remove! #Segfault here - this is line 65
  client_mapping.first.child_add XML::Node.new_cdata(cdata)
end

Anyone have any insight? I would be very grateful.
Jens W. (Guest)
hi sebastian!

Zitat von "Sebastian W." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Wondering if anyone has had issues with libxml-ruby segfaulting on
> 64-bit CentOS 5. This problem is reproducible both using the yum
> installed version of Ruby (1.8.5) and Ruby 1.8.7-p72 (compiled from
> source). I'm at my wits end here -- the problem seems to be reproducible
> only on 64 bit linux.
you might want to have a look at the 0.9.3 release charlie just put out
(see
[1]). haven't tried it myself yet as i'm not at home right now, but i
suppose
it should fix the issue.

[1]
<http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

cheers
jens
Sebastian W. (Guest)
on 2008-11-25 02:03
> you might want to have a look at the 0.9.3 release charlie just put out

Yes, yes, oh yay! OMG...so happy. This appears to have fixed the issue.
I re-ran my tests after updating to 0.9.4 (fast team - a new release
between Friday and today!) and now they're all green.

Thanks so much jens!
Jens W. (Guest)
Sebastian W. [2008-11-25 00:58]:
> Yes, yes, oh yay! OMG...so happy. This appears to have fixed the
> issue. I re-ran my tests after updating to 0.9.4 (fast team - a
> new release between Friday and today!) and now they're all green.
yeah, me too :-)

> Thanks so much jens!
thank you, but it's charlie who deserves all the gratitude!

cheers
jens