Forum: JRuby JavaOne call for papers: we need you!

Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
JavaOne call for papers is open, and we're really looking for JRuby
users to submit more talks this year. No topic is too small! No project
is too weird! And feel free to run ideas by this list.

I think Tom and I would even be willing to let someone else take the
basic JRuby talk so we could do a more advanced talk (or two). We'd just
want someone who can do a really good show, introduce the crowd to Ruby
and JRuby basics.

We'd also probably like someone else to do a Rails-specific talk, like
Nick S. or Ola B. or anyone else who wants to coordinate. I'd like
to see things kinda break down like this:

- Main JRuby talk
- Advanced JRuby talk, like hacking guide and how to get involved
- Rails talk
- GUI talk
- Graphics/Gaming talk
- other domains?

And then also, it wouldn't be hard to have server-specific talks (JBoss,
  etc) to cover all platforms people might be running.

So, let the discussions begin!

- Charlie

This sounds fun.  I'll submit a talk on Limelight to fulfill the JRuby/
GUI slot.

Micah

Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> Nick S. or Ola B. or anyone else who wants to coordinate. I'd
> (JBoss,  etc) to cover all platforms people might be running.
>
> So, let the discussions begin!
I was thinking about submitting a testing-talk.

--
 Ola B. (http://olabini.com)
 JRuby Core Developer

Charlie,

Let me run the basic JRuby talk by my team. I'm sure someone will want
to do
it (me! me! me!).

On a related note, I sent a proposal to the folks at MountainWest
RubyConf
titled "Java for JRuby", a crash course in Java for those of us coming
from
"what the hell is a classpath?!"-land.

Ikai

Ikai L. wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> Let me run the basic JRuby talk by my team. I'm sure someone will want to do
> it (me! me! me!).
>
> On a related note, I sent a proposal to the folks at MountainWest RubyConf
> titled "Java for JRuby", a crash course in Java for those of us coming from
> "what the hell is a classpath?!"-land.

Now there's an interesting idea :) I would love to hear how this is
received by the community there. I'm trying to figure out if Tom and I
could make a return trip too, but times are tough.

- Charlie

Ola B. wrote:
> I was thinking about submitting a testing-talk.

Great idea...and you're probably the expert on the area right now.

- Charlie

Micah M. wrote:
> This sounds fun.  I'll submit a talk on Limelight to fulfill the
> JRuby/GUI slot.

Excellent...I'd love to see a Limelight talk too. I think it shows the
vibrance of the Ruby world that we have so many different approaches to
Java-based GUIs in the JRuby community.

And looking through some of your docs a few minutes ago, there's some
great stuff there, like your stylesheet-like separation. Very cool.

- Charlie

I've been using JRuby to bring Ruby to the 10gen cloud computing
platform (http://www.10gen.com). It's open source; you can grab the
SDK or the get the Babble app server source at
http://github.com/10gen/babble/tree/master.

The biggest thing I've had to deal with in JRuby is that the app
server lets any language we support run code in any other language.
For example, in Ruby you can require "foo.py" or "bar.js" (or just
require "foo" or "bar" and it will figure out the language). That
means that I have to wrap incoming objects and functions into Ruby,
and wrap Ruby objects, blocks, and classes for use in the other
languages.

Does anybody think that this is worth a talk? If so, what should the
"spin" be: a look at the different object models and those wrappers? A
demo? Something else?

Jim

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Charles Oliver N.
> Sieger or Ola B. or anyone else who wants to coordinate. I'd like to see
>  etc) to cover all platforms people might be running.

--
Jim M., removed_email_address@domain.invalid,
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

A BOF talking about the challenges of building a Java-based system
supporting many different languages would be a *perfect* topic.

Jim M. wrote:
> and wrap Ruby objects, blocks, and classes for use in the other
>> JavaOne call for papers is open, and we're really looking for JRuby users to
>> things kinda break down like this:

Right now, the way we support many languages is by using one common
language---JavaScript---as the lingua franca. That is, all the other
languages' objects and functions are wrapped to/from JavaScript
objects and functions. JavaScript was the first server-side language
for the app server. It's the only one of our languages that's not
(yet) based on an existing JVM implementation.

If you think that talking about that environment and the challenges in
matching the object models, then I'm up for submitting a proposal.

Jim

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Charles Oliver N.
>> The biggest thing I've had to deal with in JRuby is that the app
>>

>>> see
>>>  etc) to cover all platforms people might be running.

--
Jim M., removed_email_address@domain.invalid,
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.io.com/~jimm/

Well, I'd certainly like to hear about it :) But I'm weirder than most.