Forum: Ruby on Rails A deployment newbie trouble getting capistno project deploye

Richard M. (Guest)
on 2008-11-21 15:10
I have a local project with I am versioning with a remote subversion
resitory on which is on the same site as I am wanting to deploy my
app. I have spent the last 3 hours trying to work this out, but I am
lost

I think capsitrano is having trouble connecting to my repository, my
deploy.rb is as follows

set :application, 'mackstarnet'
set :repository, "svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo"
set :svn_username, "******"
set :svn_password, "*****"

set :deploy_to, "/var/www/railsdeploy"
set :user, "deploy"
default_run_options[:pty] = true

task :production do
 role :web, "www.mackstar.net"
 role :app, "www.mackstar.net"
 #role :db, "www.mackstar.net", :primary=>true
end

cap deploy:cold
 * executing `deploy:cold'
 * executing `deploy:update'
 ** transaction: start
 * executing `deploy:update_code'

and here is when it looks like it starts going wonky!

Any help would be appreciatted

   executing locally: "svn info svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo  -rHEAD"
svn: Server does not support retrieving information about the repository
root
*** [deploy:update_code] rolling back
 * executing "rm -rf /var/www/railsdeploy/releases/20081121122455; true"
 ** [deploy:update_code] exception while rolling back:
Capistrano::NoMatchingServersError, `deploy:update_code' is only run
for servers matching {:except=>{:no_release=>true}}, but no servers
matched
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/capistrano-2.5.2/lib/capistrano/recipes/deploy/scm/subversion.rb:58:in
`query_revision': tried to run `svn info svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo
-rHEAD' and got unexpected result "" (RuntimeError)

Many thanks

Richard
Jeff P. (Guest)
on 2008-11-22 03:44
I think your set :repository line is too short.  It needs to reference
the actual directory in the svn repo where your "app" and other rails
files live.  I'm thinking in your case that might be more like:

set :repository, "svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo/mackstar"

or maybe something like:
set :repository, "svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo/mackstar/trunk/dev"

You will need to look at how your project is set up inside the svn repo
to get it right.

jp

Richard Mcintyre wrote:
> I have a local project with I am versioning with a remote subversion
> resitory on which is on the same site as I am wanting to deploy my
> app. I have spent the last 3 hours trying to work this out, but I am
> lost
>
> I think capsitrano is having trouble connecting to my repository, my
> deploy.rb is as follows
>
> set :application, 'mackstarnet'
> set :repository, "svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo"
> set :svn_username, "******"
> set :svn_password, "*****"
>

> Richard
Richard M. (Guest)
on 2008-11-22 03:58
Jeff P. wrote:
> I think your set :repository line is too short.  It needs to reference
> the actual directory in the svn repo where your "app" and other rails
> files live.  I'm thinking in your case that might be more like:
>
> set :repository, "svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo/mackstar"
>
> or maybe something like:
> set :repository, "svn://mackstar.net/mainrepo/mackstar/trunk/dev"
>
> You will need to look at how your project is set up inside the svn repo
> to get it right.

Thanks Jeff, for your advice,

I think that you are right at the moment I have my app at the top level
of the repo which I think is not right, I will need to create a trunk
and put it in there. I think?

I will get on with that now and let you know how it goes...

Much appreciatted....

Thanks

Richard
Richard M. (Guest)
on 2008-11-22 05:37
Thanks again,

By adding the trunk to the SVN repo I was able to get it working!

Cheers

Richard