Forum: NGINX Hot Standby Hot Standby

Stephen Nelson-Smith (Guest)
Following on from testing yesterday, I can't see a way to do this:

* Traffic ---> backend1

* backend1 fails

* Traffic ---> backend2 (hot standby)

* backend2 fails

* Traffic ---> backend3 (2nd hot standby)

ie we cannot have a hot-standby-hot-standby.

The best I have come up with is weighting the two backup backends, so
only a very small amount of traffic goes to one of the two live backup
machines.  This isn't ideal - the spec I need  to meet is to have two
tiers of failover, with the app only ever running on a single
instance.

How can I achieve this?  Is it possible?

S.
Almir K. (Guest)
stupid question, why your idea is any better than having 3 loadbalanced
servers?

anyway, what you are asking can be done with recursive error_pages.
Stephen Nelson-Smith (Guest)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Almir K.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> stupid question, why your idea is any better than having 3 loadbalanced
> servers?

Just because the application isn't very good - it doesn't play nicely
running concurrently on more than one server,

> anyway, what you are asking can be done with recursive error_pages.

Could you expand upon this?

S.