Forum: Ruby on Rails Upgrading Rails With InstantRails

Schalk N. (Guest)
Hey all,

How do I upgrade the version of rails running inside InstantRails?

Thanks,
Schalk
Jose vicente R. (Guest)
on 2008-11-20 21:36
Schalk N. wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> How do I upgrade the version of rails running inside InstantRails?
>
> Thanks,
> Schalk

Hi

gem update rails --include-dependencies

this comand erase the old version

rake rails:update
Norm (Guest)
Jose vicente Ribera pellicer wrote:
> Hi
>
> gem update rails --include-dependencies
>
> this comand erase the old version
>

> rake rails:update

First bring up a shell like window (run->cmd)
cd \InstantRails
use_ruby
gem whatever

use_ruby will set up your path and cd over to rails_apps
Schalk N. (Guest)
Hi all, thanks for the info. One thing though, from where in the
InstantRials directory structure should I run these commands? Does it
make a difference or can I simply run it from the root directory of IR?

Thanks again,
Schalk
Norm (Guest)
Schalk N. wrote:

I do not see any reason it would matter.  I would expect running from
the IR root would be most logical.
Hajer M. (Guest)
on 2010-10-18 21:05
I want to upgrade  rails version in InstantRails-2.0 also
from 2.0.2 to rails 2.3.8

but I am facing problem.

when I write this command in InstantRails console :

D:\InstantRails\InstantRails-2.0-win\rails_apps>gem update rails
--include-dependencies

It gives me this error.

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
    HTTP Response 302 fetching http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml

Any Help ?
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2010-10-18 22:36
Hajer Mohammed wrote in post #955190:
> I want to upgrade  rails version in InstantRails-2.0 also
> from 2.0.2 to rails 2.3.8
>
> but I am facing problem.
>
> when I write this command in InstantRails console :
>
> D:\InstantRails\InstantRails-2.0-win\rails_apps>gem update rails
> --include-dependencies
>
> It gives me this error.
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
>     HTTP Response 302 fetching http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml
>

> Any Help ?

Are you behind a firewall or proxy?  It looks like it can't get to the
gem server...

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
>> Any Help ?
>
> Are you behind a firewall or proxy?  It looks like it can't get to the
> gem server...

No, I switched off the firewall, this problem appeared to me once, and I
have solved by the following

1- I downloaded RubyGems again from this link

http://rubyonrails.org/download

2- Then I followed the steps in this link

http://www.msquaredweb.com/blog/articles/Installin......

3-  to install rails 2.2.2 I wrote this command in the console

gem instal rails --version 2.2.2

but this time, that solution is no longer working, I have changed my PC,
so do you have any clue what is the problem?
if proxy - which I do not know what to do with that - what shall I do
then?

thank you
Norm S. (Guest)
Hajer Mohammed wrote:

You need to decide if you want to use Instant Rails or not.  Instant
Rails has its own setup and the web page you cited will not apply.  On
Instant Rails I have found the following works to get past that gem
problem:

I found it works best to download from rubyforge.org the latest version
of rubygems, do the install and then update rails.  If you have rubygems
working and try 'gem update' which should update all installed gems it
will fail.  It will complain that ruby is version 1.8.7 and I have not
tried to update ruby.  You can install an earlier than 3 version of
rails by 'gem install -v=[version] rails'.  I have installed 2.2.2 and
2.3.9 and it worked for them.  I cannot testify to any other version.
*All of the foregoind is done from a 'ruby console' window which you can
access from the I menu in IR.

*If you want to follow that web page go with that completely and abandon
the idea of using Instant Rails.

Norm