Forum: Ruby Compiling Ruby Scripts (Ruby 1.9.x)

Sparky M. (Guest)
on 2008-11-20 08:58
I was wondering if it is possible to compile Ruby code for Ruby 1.9.x .
I understand that by compile, it just packages the interpreter/VM and
all included libraries, into one huge executable. Does RubyScript2Exe
support Ruby 1.9.x? If not, are there any alternatives that do?
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Sparky M. wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to compile Ruby code for Ruby 1.9.x .
> I understand that by compile, it just packages the interpreter/VM and
> all included libraries, into one huge executable. Does RubyScript2Exe
> support Ruby 1.9.x? If not, are there any alternatives that do?

JRuby will have 1.9 support soon, and supports precompilation and
packaging/bundling the code in a single jar file. Is that what you're
looking for?

- Charlie
Joshua B. (Guest)
On Nov 20, 2008, at 1:55 AM, Sparky M. wrote:

> I was wondering if it is possible to compile Ruby code for Ruby
> 1.9.x .
> I understand that by compile, it just packages the interpreter/VM and
> all included libraries, into one huge executable. Does RubyScript2Exe
> support Ruby 1.9.x? If not, are there any alternatives that do?

If you are deploying to OS X, MacRuby's HotCocoa library has a built-
in rake task that handles the packaging for you. See:
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-deve...

- Josh
Paul F. (Guest)
Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> - Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Can you guess (estimate) as to "how soon" for packaging as a single jar?

Regards
Paul F.
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Paul F. wrote:

>> - Charlie
>>
> Hi Charlie,
>
> Can you guess (estimate) as to "how soon" for packaging as a single jar?

Rawr basically does this already:

http://rawr.rubyforge.org/

We hope to have 1.9 support all finished by Christmas time or so.
Parser/interpreter work is in progress, M17N is well under way, and I'll
do the compiler after the parser's done.

- Charlie
Sparky M. (Guest)
on 2009-02-26 08:55
> We hope to have 1.9 support all finished by Christmas time or so.
> Parser/interpreter work is in progress, M17N is well under way, and I'll
> do the compiler after the parser's done.
>
> - Charlie

So the compiled package (rwar file) runs on JRuby?

And, are there any solutions for the official Ruby 1.9 stream?