Forum: Ruby on Rails Random method

Amari A. (Guest)
hi group
I'm new in RubyonRails world i need to define a method that will
generate random  CPU utilization (0-100%)
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 19 Nov 2008, at 15:36, amarime wrote:

> hi group
> I'm new in RubyonRails world i need to define a method that will
> generate random  CPU utilization (0-100%)

as in something that will create that amount of load on the computer
it's running on ?

Fred
Amari A. (Guest)
no just by fake numbers that will be generated from the method inside
the model
On Nov 19, 11:42 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
Two options:
1+rand(100) will give you a range of 1-100 (it will never show as 0%)
rand(101) will give you a range of 0-100 (0% is possible)

Basic ruby 101 to be honest.

On 19 Nov 2008, at 17:58, amarime wrote:

>>> generate random  CPU utilization (0-100%)
>>
>> as in something that will create that amount of load on the computer
>> it's running on ?

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Robert W. (Guest)
on 2008-11-20 19:11
> 1+rand(100) will give you a range of 1-100 (it will never show as 0%)
> rand(101) will give you a range of 0-100 (0% is possible)

I don't know what your actually trying to accomplish, but it doesn't
seem to me that simply generating random numbers between 0 and 100 would
be a very realistic test of CPU load. Load on a CPU wouldn't look like
random noise.

I think I would generate random numbers that add to another value in
small increments in some form of moving average to produce a more
realistic result. But, this depends on if you care about the value over
time, or just need an instance in time value.