Forum: Ruby on Rails gzip component with mongrel server

Ankit P. (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 11:03
I want to enable gzip component on my site
and i m using mongrel server
can you please tell me how to do it

thanks
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 19 Nov 2008, at 09:03, Ankit P. wrote:

> I want to enable gzip component on my site
> and i m using mongrel server
> can you please tell me how to do it

If you're proxying through apache or nginx then the easiest way is to
get them to do gzipping. I don't believe mongrel will do it for you
out of the box.

Fred
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 19 Nov 2008, at 10:25, Frederick C. wrote:

>> I want to enable gzip component on my site
>> and i m using mongrel server
>> can you please tell me how to do it
>
> If you're proxying through apache or nginx then the easiest way is to
> get them to do gzipping. I don't believe mongrel will do it for you
> out of the box.

You might also have a look at a search engine called "Google". Quite a
few people use it nowadays to find information quickly. For example, a
simple google search on "mongrel output compression" gave me this as
the first result, "mongrel compression" yields the same page as the
fourth result:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/mongrel-compres/
If you're in doubt, that was a little bit of sarcasm and a pretty
please to at least have a little search before posting these kinds of
questions.

There was also a solution packed in a rails plugin a while ago. Don't
know if it still works, and it's certainly not as good a solution as
apache or nginx, but you could try the better output compression
plugin (http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/
better_output_compression). The big question however is if it will
actually improve performance or slow it down.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Ankit P. (Guest)
on 2008-11-19 14:47
thanks for the reply

now i have configured with nginx and i have written the code for header
expiry ..now i want to implement both memcache and header expiry both
together but when i run mem cache header expiry stops working

has neone configured both the things to gether?

thanks