Forum: RSpec Cucumber - how to spec a quick search box

Mikel L. (Guest)
Hello all.
Wondering if anyone else has solved this.

Some websites (including the intranet app I am working on) have a form
in
the top corner of the site that is buttonless. If you focus on this form
enter text and hit enter, it submits.  usually used for quick search
boxes.

Question, has anyone managed to tie that into a cucumber feature?

Scenario: Using the quick search box
  Given I am logged in
  And I visit the home page
  And there is someone called 'Bob S.' to search for
  When I put 'Bob S.' into the quick search box
  And I hit enter
  Then I should be shown the search results page
  And there should be 'Bob S.' on the page

it's the 'And I hit enter' that is bugging me :)

Any ideas?

Mikel
Joseph W. (Guest)
Mikel L. wrote:

> Any ideas?

I've encountered the same problem. I generally try and pull the
abstraction up a bit a say something like:

When I submit a quick search for 'Bob S.'

But here I'm assuming that its not really important to the customer how
they submit the form just that they can.

WDYT?
--
Joseph W.
http://blog.josephwilk.net
wrote:
>> Question, has anyone managed to tie that into a cucumber feature?
>> it's the 'And I hit enter' that is bugging me :)
>
> WDYT?

I agree with Matt. Unless it was really really really important to the
customer how the thing was submitted I wouldn't try to automate the
pressing of the enter button in the browser.  I would more or less
just say what I was doing rather than how I was doing it. I might end
up with:

Given I'm a logged in user at the home page
And there is someone called 'Bob S.' to earch for
When I do a quick search for 'Bob S.'
Then I should see that 'Bob S.' is found in the search results

If you're wondering how you submit the quick search (since it has no
button) then here's a suggestion that Ben M. gave me back in
September: use <noscript> tags to have a button on the page that
Webrat can submit, but that the browser won't render.

Here's a link to that comment:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-webrat-question%2C-for...

--
Zach D.
http://www.continuousthinking.com
Zach D. wrote:
>>> enter text and hit enter, it submits.  usually used for quick search boxes.
>>>  And there should be 'Bob S.' on the page
>>
> up with:
>
> Here's a link to that comment:
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-webrat-question%2C-for...

And if you are using Selenium:

key_press :search, 13

--
Joseph W.
http://blog.josephwilk.net

-Bryan
Mikel L. (Guest)
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Bryan H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> If the form tag has an ID, you can use Webrat' new submit_form method
> to do just this sort of thing.

Not wrong about being new :)  24 hours ago... recent enough not to be in
the
History.txt file and I had to go hunting for the change set ;)

Thanks, works perfectly!

Mikel