Forum: Ruby on Rails Rake Error

gsv (Guest)
First time trying to learn Ruby on Rails from the (it would seem now
badly out of date) Linda.com tutorials...

I was trying to rake db:migrate and received this error "/usr/bin/rake:
27:in `require': no such file to load -- rake (LoadError) from /usr/
bin/rake:27"

The tutorial assures me that there shouldn't be an error and if there
is that I shouldn't worry as I will only have to solve it once...
thank god I am reassured...

Any insight would be appreciated because I have googled and can find
anything that may be of assistance...
mike (Guest)
did you install rails via the gem or via apt-get?

2008/11/16 gsv <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
gsv (Guest)
Hey mike

Installed via the gem... command was

sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies

returned...

INFO:  `gem install -y` is now default and will be removed
INFO:  use --ignore-dependencies to install only the gems you list
Successfully installed rails-2.1.2
1 gem installed

Which was not exactly what I had expected at the time...

I have been poking around and it would seem that rake is not installed
at all... at least it is not in /usr/local/bin...
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Nov 16, 3:13 pm, gsv <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Successfully installed rails-2.1.2
> 1 gem installed
>
> Which was not exactly what I had expected at the time...

That's just telling you that the --include-dependencies option is now
the default option.

> I have been poking around and it would seem that rake is not installed
> at all... at least it is not in /usr/local/bin...
Well you have just tried the rails gem, not the rake one. Is rake
included in the list outputted by
gem list
?

Where is gem itself (ie what does which gem say?). In general
executable scripts installed by gem would end up in the same place.

Fred
gsv (Guest)
I should probably say also that I am not using Mac

I use Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04)

Cheers
gsv (Guest)
*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.1.2)
actionpack (2.1.2)
activerecord (2.1.2)
activeresource (2.1.2)
activesupport (2.1.2)
cgi_multipart_eof_fix (2.5.0)
daemons (1.0.10)
fastthread (1.0.1)
gem_plugin (0.2.3)
mongrel (1.1.5)
mysql (2.7)
rails (2.1.2)
rake (0.8.3)
gsv (Guest)
OK I just did a gem install rake to see what would happen and got

WARNING:  Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
    /usr/local/bin aren't both writable.
WARNING:  You don't have /home/gsv/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin in your PATH,
    gem executables will not run.
Successfully installed rake-0.8.3
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for rake-0.8.3...
Installing RDoc documentation for rake-0.8.3...
gsv (Guest)
OK did a sudo install of rails and rake... they are both in /usr/local/
bin and ALSO in /usr/bin (not sure how that happened)

I still get the same error message... completely confused now...

Cheers
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Nov 16, 3:40 pm, gsv <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> OK did a sudo install of rails and rake... they are both in /usr/local/
> bin and ALSO in /usr/bin (not sure how that happened)
>
> I still get the same error message... completely confused now...

I'd guess that you've ended up with 2 installs of ruby: one in /usr,
and the other in /usr/local. the rake executable from /usr/bin is
trying to load the rake gem from the ruby install in /usr which fails
because you've installed the rake gem in your other ruby install (the
one  in /usr/local). If that is true then removing rake from /usr/bin
might help - the shell will then find the one in /usr/local. You could
test this out by running /usr/local/bin/rake db:migrate instead of
rake db:migrate

Fred
gsv (Guest)
Thanks for the help guys...

I bit the bullet and trashed everything... then rebuilt the system...
but this time used the repositories and then upgrades where needed...
then made symbolic links to /usr/local/bin from usr/bin and vóila she
works...

Hopefully things will go smoother from now

Cheers

On Nov 17, 3:54 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>