Forum: Ruby having problem in printing out correct character

Li C. (Guest)
on 2008-11-16 01:19
Hi all,

I copy some texts from a pdf file and save them in a text file. I
extract some info from the text file, write them to a yaml file. Then I
use a script to print out the yaml file. It works OK most of the time.
But I am a bit annoyed that sometimes it can mess up with some words,
such as "passé".
How am I going to fix it?

Thanks,

Li
The H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-16 02:36
> I copy some texts from a pdf file and save them in a text file. I
> extract some info from the text file, write them to a yaml file. Then I
> use a script to print out the yaml file. It works OK most of the time.
> But I am a bit annoyed that sometimes it can mess up with some words,
> such as "passé".
> How am I going to fix it?

I have no idea, and I've never dealt with these issues.  So I asked
Google,

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&q=rub...

The first hit answers your question.
James G. (Guest)
On Nov 15, 2008, at 6:33 PM, The Higgs bozo wrote:

> Google,
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&q=rub...
>
> The first hit answers your question.

You may also wish to browse the series of blog posts I have been
writing on character encodings:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/understanding_m17n

James Edward G. II