Forum: Ruby on Rails data not being saved

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Shandy N. (Guest)
on 2008-11-15 21:08
I am trying to save data entered in a form and nothing seems to be
saving. What do you I have to look at to ensure everything is set-up
correctly? I have looked in my database.yml file and all looks good and
the database that I am trying to use exist. Thanks,

-S
Norm (Guest)
on 2008-11-15 21:31
(Received via mailing list)
Shandy N. wrote:
> I am trying to save data entered in a form and nothing seems to be
> saving. What do you I have to look at to ensure everything is set-up
> correctly? I have looked in my database.yml file and all looks good and
> the database that I am trying to use exist. Thanks,
>
> -S
>
There should be a lot of good information in your log files like what
was sent to the controller and what the sql for accessing the database
looked like.  It  sounds like you did not get an error which means that
your parameters and sql were ok.  I would suspect you somehow are
looking for your data in the wrong place.
When you say it is not saving, do you mean that it is not fetched if you
try to list it (or do something like a=Type.find :all in a
script/console window).
Shandy N. (Guest)
on 2008-11-15 21:42
Norm wrote:
>>
> There should be a lot of good information in your log files like what
> was sent to the controller and what the sql for accessing the database
> looked like.  It  sounds like you did not get an error which means that
> your parameters and sql were ok.  I would suspect you somehow are
> looking for your data in the wrong place.
> When you say it is not saving, do you mean that it is not fetched if you
> try to list it (or do something like a=Type.find :all in a
> script/console window).

Not really, this is what I see:

Processing AdminController#create_user (for 127.0.0.1 at 2008-11-15
12:39:02) [POST]
  Session ID: 055075e032051a9365cecbcbf4abb283
  Parameters: {"commit"=>"Submit",
"post"=>{"emailvrfy"=>"removed_email_address@domain.invalid", 
"passwordvrfy"=>"test72",
"password"=>"test72", "email"=>"removed_email_address@domain.invalid"},
"action"=>"create_user", "controller"=>"admin"}
  User Columns (0.007000)   SHOW FIELDS FROM users
  SQL (0.003000)   BEGIN
  User Load (0.000000)   SELECT * FROM users WHERE
(users.email IS NULL) LIMIT 1
  SQL (0.000000)   COMMIT
Redirected to http://localhost:3000/league/beginning
Completed in 0.03700 (27 reqs/sec) | DB: 0.01000 (27%) | 302 Found
[http://localhost/admin/create_user]

When I try and manually add a user through irb nothing even though it
appears that it is saving. The only thing that I can guess is that it is
being saved to another table somewhere but my .yml seems to think it is
using the same table that I am looking at.
Frederick C. (Guest)
on 2008-11-15 21:49
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 15, 7:42 pm, Shandy N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>    [4;35;1mUser Load (0.000000) [0m    [0mSELECT * FROM users WHERE
> (users.email IS NULL) LIMIT 1 [0m

this looks suspicious, (I'm guessing it's a query from
validates_uniqueness_of) - it looks like your controller is looking
for params in the wrong place.
the logs show that nothing attempted to write the data at all, usually
this is because of a failed validation.

Fred
Shandy N. (Guest)
on 2008-11-15 22:08
Frederick C. wrote:
> On Nov 15, 7:42�pm, Shandy N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> � �[4;35;1mUser Load (0.000000) [0m � �[0mSELECT * FROM users WHERE
>> (users.email IS NULL) LIMIT 1 [0m
>
> this looks suspicious, (I'm guessing it's a query from
> validates_uniqueness_of) - it looks like your controller is looking
> for params in the wrong place.
> the logs show that nothing attempted to write the data at all, usually
> this is because of a failed validation.
>
> Fred

You are correct, I was validates_uniqueness_of :email and then not
passing an email address. Thanks for the help, hope everyone is having a
good weekend.

-S
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.