Forum: Ruby on Rails Can't create has_one record

T. B. (Guest)
on 2008-11-13 00:10
Hello all. I have the following code in my Accounts controller:

@account = Account.create(params[:account])
@website = @account.websites.create(params[:website])
@contact = @account.contact.create(params[:contact])

My Account model has_one :contact and my Contact belongs_to :account,
yet I get the following error:

NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
The error occurred while evaluating nil.create

- - - - - -

I've scoured the documentation and can't find where I'm mucking things
up. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-tb
reHa (Guest)
@account = Account.create(params[:account])

now you have new account - contact is empty

@account.contact is nil -> calling @account.contact.create is the same
as calling nil.create

try:

@account = Account.create(params[:account])
@account.contact = Contact.create(params[:contact])
Rob B. (Guest)

@contact = @account.create_contact(params[:contact])

>> things
>> up. Any help is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> -tb

It's right there in the docs for has_one.  Compare to the similar
semantics for has_many associations that you're obviously familiar with.

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/As...

-Rob

Rob B.    http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid