Forum: JRuby tomcat memory usage rising - is this normal?

Jin L. (Guest)
Hey guys -

Do you know if it is normal for tomcat to grow in memory size and not
come
back down? Currently I have an application that has not been restarted
for
over 20 days, and it has gone from 200 mb to 750 mb. If I was optimistic
I'd
say the memory was freed up, just not 'released' by the JVM? Or do you
think
this is evidence of a slow memory leak? I just found out about this, so
will observe if it is contunally climbing or staying steady at 750.

Jin
Mike H. (Guest)
I have had this same observation.

I have not looked closely at the GC, but need to.

For our app, it steadily takes JVM heap and never gives it back. It does
not, however run out of memory so it hasn't been a problem.

Curious more than anything else.

Mike

Mike H. wrote:
> I have had this same observation.
>
> I have not looked closely at the GC, but need to.
>
> For our app, it steadily takes JVM heap and never gives it back. It does
> not, however run out of memory so it hasn't been a problem.
>
> Curious more than anything else.

Hmm, are either of you able to trace this to any specific JRuby or
library release? I would expect to see N runtimes grow, of course, and
not give memory back once they're done growing, but hopefully we haven't
introduced a leak. Mike's case sounds like it does eventually finish
growing; Jin's and AD's sound like it does not.

- Charlie