Forum: Ruby Connect to Windows Share using Ruby

Nick H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-12 17:49
Hello,

I'm looking to connect to a Windows share using Ruby.  Is there a
library, or gem that would help me do this?  Just a nudge in the right
direction would be great.  Thank you!
Howard R. (Guest)
on 2008-11-13 01:23
Nick H. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to connect to a Windows share using Ruby.  Is there a
> library, or gem that would help me do this?  Just a nudge in the right
> direction would be great.  Thank you!

Nick,
  http://rubysmb.sourceforge.net/ may do the trick for you, if you mean
connecting to Windows from Linux, and have Samba already configured.

HTH,
Howard
Aldric G. (Guest)
I couldn't find the original post so I'll reply to this one..

require 'fileutils' # optional, but so much stuff comes in handy...
Dir.chdir("//servername/sharename/")

That usually does the trick for me.. Or do you need something else?

--Aldric
Nick H. (Guest)
on 2008-11-13 16:46
Aldric G. wrote:
> I couldn't find the original post so I'll reply to this one..
>
> require 'fileutils' # optional, but so much stuff comes in handy...
> Dir.chdir("//servername/sharename/")
>
> That usually does the trick for me.. Or do you need something else?
>
> --Aldric

Yeah, all of the above works for me.  I just didn't know if there was a
more 'built in' way to connect rather than relying on the host OS to
handle the communication.  Having Ruby take care of it would make the
code much more portable.