Forum: GNU Radio Problem with GNU radio installation in UBUNTU 8.10

gohar anwar (Guest)
 I am trying to install GNU radio on Ubuntu 8.10.
I followed the script method (apt-get) step by step as described in
wiki.
All the packages are completey installed without any error.(during
installation). But still GNU radio cant access the USRP. I am using
USRP1 with my sony vaio fw160j.
Following error occured when i tried to run th example
usrp_benchmark_usb.py

gohar@ubuntu:~$ python
'/usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp/usrp_benchmark_usb.py'
Testing 2MB/sec... usrp_open_interface:usb_claim_interface: failed
interface 0
could not claim interface 0: Operation not permitted
open_nth_cmd_interface: open_cmd_interface failed
usrp: failed to load firmware /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2/std.ihx.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp/usrp_benchmark_usb.py",
line 106, in <module>
    main ()
  File "/usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp/usrp_benchmark_usb.py",
line 96, in main
    ok = run_test (rate, verbose)
  File "/usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp/usrp_benchmark_usb.py",
line 63, in run_test
    usrp_tx = usrp.sink_s (0, tx_interp)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py", line
233, in __init__
    fpga_filename, firmware_filename)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp1.py", line
946, in sink_s
    return _usrp1.sink_s(*args)
RuntimeError: can't open usrp1

Can any body help me out.
Further i have to test the files of GSM scanner project. Can i do so
using the latest stable release of gnu radio or i have to use some
previous releases? Any suggestion?

Thanks
Johnathan C. (Guest)
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:57 AM, gohar anwar
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>  I am trying to install GNU radio on Ubuntu 8.10.
> I followed the script method (apt-get) step by step as described in wiki.
> All the packages are completey installed without any error.(during
> installation). But still GNU radio cant access the USRP. I am using USRP1
> with my sony vaio fw160j.
> Following error occured when i tried to run th example usrp_benchmark_usb.py

> RuntimeError: can't open usrp1

The at least two possible reasons I can think of that would generate
your symptoms:

1) You don't have access to the hardware.  The binary package install
adds the group 'usrp' and allows members of that group to access the
USRP, but you need to add your userid to that group (this is in the
wiki page you used.)

2) You have a physical cabling issue (such as not using a USB2.0
standard rated cable).

-Johnathan
George N. (Guest)
Johnathan C. wrote:

> 1) You don't have access to the hardware.  The binary package install
> adds the group 'usrp' and allows members of that group to access the
> USRP, but you need to add your userid to that group (this is in the
> wiki page you used.)

A simple test if this is your error is to run the benchmark as root.  If
it works, you need to fix permissions to the hardware.

- George