Forum: RSpec Installing rspec, cucumber, et al.

James B. (Guest)
I have a project that I am returning to after some time away on other
issues.  When last I worked on it I had rspec and rspec for rails
installed as git submodules but I recall that I also had to have rspec
installed as a gem and that the gem and the plugin versions had to
exactly
match.  Having read a little about cucumber I went tot he cucumber site
and read this:

If you use Git for your Rails app, add the following plugins:

git submodule add git://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber.git
vendor/plugins/cucumber
git submodule add git://github.com/brynary/webrat.git
vendor/plugins/webrat
git submodule add git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec.git
vendor/plugins/rspec
git submodule add git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails.git
vendor/plugins/rspec-rails
Install Other dependencies

gem install term-ansicolor treetop diff-lcs hpricot

Bootstrap Cucumber

You’ll need a Rake task and a couple of files that configure Cucumber
for
use with Ruby on Rails and Webrat. You create these with:

ruby script/generate cucumber

There is nowhere a mention of gems.  I am aware that rspec was/is
anything
but stable in its configuration requirements so I wish to know: What is
the exact canonical method of installing rspec and all dependences for
use
with cucumber.  Are the gems gone, or simply unnecessary?  Are the
cucumber instructions out of date?

Regards,

James B. Byrne                mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Canada  L8E 3C3
James B. (Guest)
I am confused. I ran this in my rails project root:

$ git submodule status
 3b76fda741dfe2de84b4d5a33766653589ad36fb vendor/plugins/rspec
(1.1.4-22-g3b76fda)
 5adb47e5bed39569b435fadf8c34bd836d4287d3 vendor/plugins/rspec-rails
(1.1.4-10-g5adb47e)

$ git update # does nothing

I checked my .gitmodules and .git/config entries and they both say this:

[submodule "vendor/plugins/rspec"]
  path = vendor/plugins/rspec
  url = git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec.git
[submodule "vendor/plugins/rspec-rails"]
  path = vendor/plugins/rspec-rails
  url = git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails.git

However, the rspec.info page says the the most recent rspec version is
1.1.11.  So, what is going on?  Where is the 1.1.11 git repository?
rspec.info points to http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/wikis/home
which
refers one to git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec.git which is what I
already have.  Am I missing something obvious here?

P.S.

I am a digest subscriber so I very much appreciate a directly addressed
copy of any replies (reply all); and

I track the archives at ruby-forge when I have a question to the list
outstanding but I see no traffic for this list after Tue Nov 11 09:36:03
EST 2008, including my own previous message.  Is the list down or are
the
archives generated only periodically?

James B. Byrne                mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Canada  L8E 3C3
David C. (Guest)
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:00 PM, James B. Byrne
wrote:
> I checked my .gitmodules and .git/config entries and they both say this:
> 1.1.11.  So, what is going on?  Where is the 1.1.11 git repository?
> rspec.info points to http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/wikis/home  which
> refers one to git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec.git which is what I
> already have.  Am I missing something obvious here?

You must have installed rspec during the short time we were using
git-submodules.

You'll want to remove them and reinstall as plugins (or as gems).
Here's some info on un-doing git-submodules:

http://pitupepito.homelinux.org/?p=24

Cheers,
David

> P.S.
>
> I am a digest subscriber so I very much appreciate a directly addressed
> copy of any replies (reply all); and
>
> I track the archives at ruby-forge when I have a question to the list
> outstanding but I see no traffic for this list after Tue Nov 11 09:36:03
> EST 2008, including my own previous message.  Is the list down or are the
> archives generated only periodically?

Not sure about this - I'll look into it.
James B. (Guest)
On Tue, November 11, 2008 15:05, David C. wrote:

> You must have installed rspec during the short time we were using
> git-submodules.
>
> You'll want to remove them and reinstall as plugins (or as gems).
> Here's some info on un-doing git-submodules:

Removing git submodules is well-practised art for me, much to my
embarassment.  However, I would like the present situation with respect
rspec and rspec-rails clarified for me.  I seem to recall that at some
point one had to have rspec installed as a plugin if one intended to use
rspec-rails, which also had to be installed as a plugin.  Has this
situation been altered, are gems alone now sufficient?

Regards,

James B. Byrne                mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Canada  L8E 3C3
aslak hellesoy (Guest)
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 9:00 PM, James B. Byrne
wrote:
> I am confused. I ran this in my rails project root:
>
> $ git submodule status
>  3b76fda741dfe2de84b4d5a33766653589ad36fb vendor/plugins/rspec
> (1.1.4-22-g3b76fda)
>  5adb47e5bed39569b435fadf8c34bd836d4287d3 vendor/plugins/rspec-rails
> (1.1.4-10-g5adb47e)
>
> $ git update # does nothing

Try this:

cd vendor/plugins/rspec
git checkout master
git pull origin master
cd ../../..
git status
git add vendor/plugins/rspec
git commit -m "Updated to newer RSpec"

etc...

HTH,
Aslak
David C. (Guest)
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM, James B. Byrne
wrote:

> Removing git submodules is well-practised art for me, much to my
> embarassment.  However, I would like the present situation with respect to
> rspec and rspec-rails clarified for me.  I seem to recall that at some
> point one had to have rspec installed as a plugin if one intended to use
> rspec-rails, which also had to be installed as a plugin.  Has this
> situation been altered, are gems alone now sufficient?

Your options are:

system gems
vendor/gems
vendor/plugins

The rspec-rails gem has a hard dependency on the rspec gem of the same
version, so if you install rspec-rails-1.1.11.gem with dependencies,
it will install rspec-1.1.11.gem as well.

There have been reports of problems with system gems, so right now it
seems the safest way is to use vendor/gems or vendor/pugins.

HTH,
David
Scott T. (Guest)
On Nov 11, 2008, at 3:44 PM, David C. wrote:

>>> Here's some info on un-doing git-submodules:
>> situation been altered, are gems alone now sufficient?
>
> There have been reports of problems with system gems, so right now it
> seems the safest way is to use vendor/gems or vendor/pugins.

+1 for vendor/plugins.  It's the tested and tried method.

Scott
James B. (Guest)
On Tue, November 11, 2008 15:44, David C. wrote:

I have, for the time being, installed rspec et al as system gems.  If
that
causes problems for me then I will change to vendor gems and test that
before bothering people with my woes.

Regards,

James B. Byrne                mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Canada  L8E 3C3
Pat M. (Guest)
"David C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> system gems
> vendor/gems
> vendor/plugins
>
> The rspec-rails gem has a hard dependency on the rspec gem of the same
> version, so if you install rspec-rails-1.1.11.gem with dependencies,
> it will install rspec-1.1.11.gem as well.
>
> There have been reports of problems with system gems, so right now it
> seems the safest way is to use vendor/gems or vendor/pugins.

I thought it was vendor/gems that had problems?  At any rate, I've been
using system gems on several projects with no troubles.

Pat