Forum: Ruby on Rails Is Rails Scaffolding Production Ready

Chas Lemley (Guest)
Is scaffolding in Rails production ready?  I've read a few opinions on
this,
but most were referring to the original style of scaffolding found in
rails.

Because scaffolding now creates the controller, models, views for me is
there anything I need to watch out for when trying to build upon this to
arrive at a production-ready product?

Thanks for the help.

Chas
Bobnation (Guest)
I'm not the best person to answer this, but I would caution you to "be
careful" nonetheless. Sometimes it is better to put in the work in
order to understand exactly how things are pieced together.

Just my thoughts.
Ar C. (Guest)
on 2008-11-12 05:53
When one of my users asks for a new "feature" that involves a new model
and all the trimmings, I routinely scaffold up the prototype, do as
little code as I can to make it fit in with the application, then bring
them in for a test drive on my dev machine.

The scaffolded layouts don't match the app, and there's no styling, but
it assures that I interpreted their concept correctly.

Then it's time to perform surgery on all the scaffolded code and meld
the new bits into the production application.

Sooo, I wouldn't say that raw scaffolded code is production ready, but
it is certainly a fast track for prototyping.
Bobnation (Guest)
On Nov 11, 9:53 pm, Ar Chron <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Sooo, I wouldn't say that raw scaffolded code is production ready, but
> it is certainly a fast track for prototyping.
>
> --
Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Ar Chron
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid