Forum: JRuby installing merb with jruby

Eric C. (Guest)
I am having problems installing the merb gem with jruby:

==============
c:\>jruby -S gem install merb
ERROR:  Error installing merb:

C:/lang/jruby-1.1.5/bin/jruby.bat extconf.rb install merb
C:/lang/jruby-1.1.5/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:7: JRuby does not support
native extensions. Check
 wiki.jruby.org for alternatives. (NotImplementedError)
        from C:/lang/jruby-1.1.5/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:21:in `require'
        from extconf.rb:21

Gem files will remain installed in
C:/lang/jruby-1.1.5/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/do_sqlite3-0.
9.6 for inspection.
Results logged to
C:/lang/jruby-1.1.5/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/do_sqlite3-0.9.6/ext/gem_make.
out
==============

Based on this blog entry:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/arungupta/archive/200...

it appears I should be able to install merb this way.  Other than that I
couldn't find much on running jruby and merb (or at least how to install
it).

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Jacob K. (Guest)
Merb has been moving in and out of Jruby compatibility.  Right now, the
Merb gem includes datamapper, which includes do_sqlite, which includes
native extensions. However, you don't need that for merb programs. If
you run

gem install merb-core
gem install merb-more

that should work. At the very least, I know that merb-core is pure ruby,
and you can probably pick out the gems from merb-more that you want.

Eric Ching wrote:
> native extensions. Check
> out
> Could someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric

Thanks, I'll it out.

I don't even have MRI installed, JRuby is just too good. ;-)
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
One problem you'll run into is this:

http://merb.lighthouseapp.com/projects/7433-merb/t...

There's a workaround there involving a small change to the templater
gem, and another workaround would be to use MRI for generation. I'm
looking into the actual JRuby issue here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-3131

But Yehuda agrees this probably should be fixed in templater, since it
doesn't work in 1.9 either.

- Charlie