Forum: Ruby on Rails Book Recommendation for fast drop into webdesign

Jeffrey G. (Guest)
on 2008-11-09 21:04
hello,

I did some web design quite a while ago and now i have some time to get
back into it but i want it as fast as possible and what i'm really
lacking is some good resource how to restart.

it's like that i need the general html design patterns plus css in an
accesible way.

then i want to go dymanic with ruby on rails.

i couldn't find any book that is not mainly html for beginners or just a
reference or creating some very particular design but one that talks
about how various often encountered design solutions are usually done
today. it maybe would be a lot on css but i don't want to learn a lot of
attributes, just the general principles and then maybe an editor which
does display all propertys i can sensefully set (maybe i'll use coda?).

so thanks a lot for reading this
and i hope to hear of some book or something online i can use to dive
faster than just looking at various modern sites' sourcecode.

jeffrey
Mohit S. (Guest)
Jeffrey Goines wrote:

> i couldn't find any book that is not mainly html for beginners or just a
> reference or creating some very particular design but one that talks
> about how various often encountered design solutions are usually done
> today. it maybe would be a lot on css but i don't want to learn a lot of
> attributes, just the general principles and then maybe an editor which
> does display all propertys i can sensefully set (maybe i'll use coda?).

It's not HTML but I really enjoyed reading "Stylin' with CSS: A
Designer's Guide" - I thought it was written in a very accessible manner
and it helped me, a CSS-nobody to get a reasonably good idea of the
basics so that my sites stopped looking ugly.

Cheers,
Mohit.
11/10/2008 | 3:24 AM.
Jeffrey G. (Guest)
on 2008-11-11 00:14
Mohit S. wrote:
> It's not HTML but I really enjoyed reading "Stylin' with CSS: A
> Designer's Guide" - I thought it was written in a very accessible manner
> and it helped me, a CSS-nobody to get a reasonably good idea of the
> basics so that my sites stopped looking ugly.

Mohit, thank you so much for telling me, I guess this book is very very
close to what I was looking for!!

It's not available at my University but I'm reading it now on
safaribooksonline (trial) and find that very convenient.
Mohit S. (Guest)
Jeffrey Goines wrote:

> It's not available at my University but I'm reading it now on
> safaribooksonline (trial) and find that very convenient.

Glad to help!  I'm more of an engineer and it brought me just enough
knowledge :)

Cheers,
Mohit.
11/12/2008 | 12:56 AM.